IGNORED

HQPlayer settings for specific DACs

smooring

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If HQPlayer crashes, then it is likely the ASIO driver that crashes for some reason.

You can enable HQPlayer log file and try to catch the last items that got written before the crash.

I cannot comment about Foobar or Jriver, I have never used such.

i have given the links to the crash dump and HQPlayer log in previous post i am hoping that i don't have to re-install windows fresh to fix this problem so any help you can provide will be most appreciated!

1 hour ago, Mark Labbett said:

i have given the links to the crash dump and HQPlayer log in previous post i am hoping that i don't have to re-install windows fresh to fix this problem so any help you can provide will be most appreciated!

You seem to have "AltDSD" enabled in settings. Meaning "pdm_div" in settings.xml set to "1" instead of "8" (default). This will certainly crash the application if it's not required by the driver (none of the drivers currently on market). I have removed that option from the GUI.

You can either manually edit the settings file (use the backup / restore option). Or alternatively reset the configuration through the Help-menu option and start from fresh.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

You seem to have "AltDSD" enabled in settings. Meaning "pdm_div" in settings.xml set to "1" instead of "8" (default). This will certainly crash the application if it's not required by the driver (none of the drivers currently on market). I have removed that option from the GUI.

You can either manually edit the settings file (use the backup / restore option). Or alternatively reset the configuration through the Help-menu option and start from fresh.

i decided to re-install windows as there were a few other problems with other programs, all is working fine now, thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2022 at 7:10 PM, Miska said:

Depends on a DAC and how you interface to the DAC.

For Holo Audio DACs, 20 bit is correct setting.

@Miska if I'm going to use HQP to upsample Roon stream (Tidal or Qobuz) to DSD256 using, say, ASDM7ECv2 / poly-sinc-ext2 and run it via NAA to:

(1) the Holo Audio May

(2) RME ADI-2 DAC FS v2 {I'm using this in this question as it is a cheaper DAC that plays well with HQP, especially in DSD Direct mode}

would the SQ from both be very similar to each other? In other words, does upsampling to DSD256 (or DSD512 if usable) reduce the differences in SQ between generally well-measuring DACs that play well with HQP even if, subjectively without using HQP, one seems better than the other?

14 hours ago, Reg19 said:

would the SQ from both be very similar to each other? In other words, does upsampling to DSD256 (or DSD512 if usable) reduce the differences in SQ between generally well-measuring DACs that play well with HQP even if, subjectively without using HQP, one seems better than the other?

Assuming here the ADI-2 is AKM chip one. Fairly similar yes, but some differences remain due to different kind of D/A conversion stage implementation and following analog filter stages. So yes the differences become smaller.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am a newbie with HQ player commercial version and have a question regarding the settings on my DAC which is the Pontus II. If I am using HQ player for my up sampling should I enable over sampling from the Pontus menu or NOS so that HQ player does the job without interference from the DAC trying to performance over sample as well? Would there be a conflict with both set to over sample? Thank you.

Audio path = HQ player → PC (USB to ) →MiniDSP SHD (spidif out to) →Pontus → Amp

3 hours ago, Soundfx222 said:

I am a newbie with HQ player commercial version and have a question regarding the settings on my DAC which is the Pontus II. If I am using HQ player for my up sampling should I enable over sampling from the Pontus menu or NOS so that HQ player does the job without interference from the DAC trying to performance over sample as well? Would there be a conflict with both set to over sample? Thank you.

Audio path = HQ player → PC (USB to ) →MiniDSP SHD (spidif out to) →Pontus → Amp

First you should remove the MiniDSP thing from the path, because it is limiting sampling rate. Just connect Pontus directly using USB.

Set Pontus to NOS mode and HQPlayer to output 705.6/768k rate. Set DAC Bits to 16 for starters and use LNS15 dither/noise-shaper.

You can also try with DSD256 for comparison.

What DAC bits and Filter settings would you recommend for a Yggdrasil Less is More (its a 16-bit TI DAC)? I have it set to 24-bits and 192k Rate PCM with poly-sinc-gauss-long. 

I should also mention that I am using Allo DigiOne HAT on Pi4 BNC output to BNC input

3 hours ago, Ozzie said:

What DAC bits and Filter settings would you recommend for a Yggdrasil Less is More (its a 16-bit TI DAC)? I have it set to 24-bits and 192k Rate PCM with poly-sinc-gauss-long. 

I should also mention that I am using Allo DigiOne HAT on Pi4 BNC output to BNC input

At most 16-bit. I recommend TPDF or Gauss1 dither, but you can also try NS9 noise-shaper.

26 minutes ago, Miska said:

At most 16-bit. I recommend TPDF or Gauss1 dither, but you can also try NS9 noise-shaper.

Thanks! NS9 works pretty well. 

Does reducing the DAC bit output not affect the quality if I am also adding a -3db attenuation? Or am I not thinking about this right? I thought that the volume bits would reside beyond the 16-bits and so a 20-bit would be better, no? 

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

Thanks! NS9 works pretty well. 

Does reducing the DAC bit output not affect the quality if I am also adding a -3db attenuation? Or am I not thinking about this right? I thought that the volume bits would reside beyond the 16-bits and so a 20-bit would be better, no? 

The DAC chip in question can only use 16 bits. Bits beyond those are just thrown away at the DAC chip which generates distortion.

Using correct number of output bits improves quality because then you don't get distortion due to either truncation and/or non-linearity. So using less bits gives better quality. In addition, when your output rate is high enough and you use noise-shaping, there's no loss in resolution, but there can be increase in resolution, without loss in audio band dynamic range.

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, andrewd01 said:

Do you have any recommended settings for DSD upscaling to a AK4490EQ DAC chip?  I am using the embedded version of HQP.

Both ASDM7EC(v2) and ASDM5EC(v2) modulators work fine for running it at DSD256 rate. I recommend the former one. With filter of your choice.

If possible, try to ensure the chip is in DSD Direct mode.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Both ASDM7EC(v2) and ASDM5EC(v2) modulators work fine for running it at DSD256 rate. I recommend the former one. With filter of your choice.

If possible, try to ensure the chip is in DSD Direct mode.

Thanks, the DAC is an accuphase DAC50.  The specs for DSD shown below.

I understand that 11.2896 MHz is DSD256.  Does the ‘ASIO only’ comment for the high rate mean that rate is not ‘DSD direct’?

https://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

DSD/2.8224MHz,5.6448MHz,11.2896MHz(1bit)
                    *11.2896MHz(ASIO only)

38 minutes ago, andrewd01 said:

Thanks, the DAC is an accuphase DAC50.  The specs for DSD shown below.

I understand that 11.2896 MHz is DSD256.  Does the ‘ASIO only’ comment for the high rate mean that rate is not ‘DSD direct’?

https://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

DSD/2.8224MHz,5.6448MHz,11.2896MHz(1bit)
                    *11.2896MHz(ASIO only)

No, it means that the rate only works on Windows through their ASIO driver. I don't know how the DAC chip is configured for DSD on the DAC50 card. You could try to ask Accuphase if they can tell whether they use DSD Direct mode or not. Since they don't need the on-chip volume control, I find it likely that the chip is indeed used in DSD Direct mode.

Hi, I'm evaluating HQP within Roon and using a MSB Diamond DAC V.

I upsample to DSD256 in HQP and perform convolution filters in Roon (see pic below).

image.png.6136ad49491ee9acc9806373bdbef543.png

The issue I'm finding is that PCM in multiples of 48K don't play in HQP, BUT... 48K itself does play...

I've tried several bit rate settings, but to no avail.

Below is what I have in settings.

Can you please advise what should be the correct setting?

image.thumb.png.25c8c2a448acb51c7004586367a91ba0.png

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, sbilotta said:

Hi, I'm evaluating HQP within Roon and using a MSB Diamond DAC V.

I upsample to DSD256 in HQP and perform convolution filters in Roon (see pic below).

image.png.6136ad49491ee9acc9806373bdbef543.png

The issue I'm finding is that PCM in multiples of 48K don't play in HQP, BUT... 48K itself does play...

I've tried several bit rate settings, but to no avail.

Below is what I have in settings.

Can you please advise what should be the correct setting?

image.thumb.png.25c8c2a448acb51c7004586367a91ba0.png

Thank you!!!

Reason is that you have poly-sinc-gauss-long filter selected for 1x rates, which can convert between rate families. While minringFIR-mp filter selected for Nx rates cannot. Please refer to the filter table in the manual.

P.S. I would move the convolution from Roon to HQPlayer. And leave Roon as bit-perfect transport.

37 minutes ago, Miska said:

Reason is that you have poly-sinc-gauss-long filter selected for 1x rates, which can convert between rate families. While minringFIR-mp filter selected for Nx rates cannot. Please refer to the filter table in the manual.

P.S. I would move the convolution from Roon to HQPlayer. And leave Roon as bit-perfect transport.

Thanks Miska.

I had Roon handle the convolution filters because my NUC (NUC10i7FNHN) couldn't handle HQP doing both upsampling and convolution on DSD128 and 256, while separating the load yes.

However, I have now found that I can use the DirectSDM setting (in DSD Source Settings) and let Roon upsample only DSD64 and 128 to DSD256, allowing HQP to always receive DSD256 (also from PCM upsampling) and apply convolution filters.

Could you please advise the most appropriate filters in the SDM Defaults and DSD Source Settings for my DAC?

Thanks again.

5 hours ago, sbilotta said:

I had Roon handle the convolution filters because my NUC (NUC10i7FNHN) couldn't handle HQP doing both upsampling and convolution on DSD128 and 256, while separating the load yes.

OK, I see. This is better than doing what you describe below. Best option would be to have enough CPU power so that you don't need to resort to such due to lack of CPU power.

However, I have now found that I can use the DirectSDM setting (in DSD Source Settings) and let Roon upsample only DSD64 and 128 to DSD256, allowing HQP to always receive DSD256 (also from PCM upsampling) and apply convolution filters.

This is bad idea. If you have DirectSDM enabled, HQPlayer won't be doing any DSP, convolution or anything else than speaker delays for DSD inputs. Essentially in this case HQPlayer is doing nothing.

Could you please advise the most appropriate filters in the SDM Defaults and DSD Source Settings for my DAC?

If you have DirectSDM enabled, none of those have any effect. But I would recommend to get started with FIR2 + XFi.

Hi Miska,

Long time satisfied HQplayer user here. I have two questions:

1.  Is there an easy way to confirm which convolution filter is actually running during playback- other than clicking into the sub-menu of the client? Especially when using Roon to HQplayer it would be nice for the regular player to indicate whether and which convolution filter is running.

2.  Any special filter recs for a topping D90 DAC (AKM4499) for someone who - no matter how many times I try Gauss, Sinc, and other new filters - keeps coming back to poly-sinc-short-minimum phase for rebook (upsampled to 384).

Thanks!