IGNORED

Article: CAPS Twenty Update, My Music Storage Situation, and Why Audiophiles Need A New iPad Pro

Holy smokes, anything to reduce the time to update is welcome, but at these speeds, it's up there with Roon and Jriver on a local drive to catalogue new files, maybe even surpassing them.

Yup, my main gripe was with the Lumin app update time, fixed one part of the problem with the network speed , now the rest needs a faster processor, makes sense if you compare an M1 with a '386'.

Thanks @The Computer Audiophilefor the data measurements and like @joelha  to spend $$$, again. Anything to remove the 'please wait  technology' whoever invented that needs a swift kick in the rear 🤨

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the Magic keyboard?

Oh, the choice of wireless keyboards, many just sucked. But there's one that had stayed on the desktop for well over a year now.

Logitech MX keys. 

Can match with 3 devices, feels solid and heavy, battery lasts about 3 months of daily use before recharging via USB-C. Illuminated keyboard at the right time and no lags. The MX keys is wider than the iPad, it also sports a real number keypad.

I also have the magic keyboard, but it's very light, loses connection at the wrong times and replaceable battery life should be better.

The iPad Pro arrived today, it's the cheapest M1 with no LTE SIM, just wireless, 11inch 128GB.

Downloaded and started the Lumin app. Dragged in 8701 albums in less than 8mins, I didn't time this.

Added about  6 new albums to Minimserver, Rescan from the server, and waited, and waited. About 7 minutes passed. The Lumin app automatically rescans/updates when Minimserver goes offline/online.

Tried adding a double album on its own.

15:11 Rescan Minimserver (took about 10s or less)

15:11 Noted the spinning circle in the Lumin App about 5s after Minimserver re-started

15:15 New album appeared in the Lumin app.

I tried to connect to 2.4 GHz network, but the iPad couldn't connect to this, as there were too many other networks in the near vicinity. Messed about with a few channels and settings, iPad could not connect. Poor thing is confused. So connected back to the 5 GHz network and all OK with iPad.

Well, 3 minutes saved is better than the 7 or 10 minutes with the older iPad with just adding the one album. Was it worth the $1000 for the iPad Pro? No. Sensational? A matter of debate, since great results require a small file library, who has this??

Based on the number of albums in Chris' article of 2400 versus 8701, if there's an extrapolation, the times are linearly in the ball park, basing the total processing time of 99s in the article above, with 3.63 times the number of albums, that ends up at close to 6 minutes to finish the processing from scratch.

Time to play some CDs or an LP and leave computer audio off for the moment.

Roon could index new entries in seconds, but I can't go back to the close to 30GB of downloaded data and the average SQ that went with it.

Completed some more exercises on speeds between older and newer iPad for cataloging music files, FLAC and DSF, maybe one album Mp3. 8704 albums.

Old(er) iPad - Model iPadPro 10.5inch) MQDT2X/A iOS 14.8 64GB, free space 47.56 GB

Catalogue 131,238 audio files from beginning (Lumin App removed and reinstalled) in 16 minutes, 136.7 Tracks/s

New iPad - Model iPad Pro (11inch 3rd Gen) iOS 15.0.2

Catalogue 131,238 audio files from beginning (Lumin App removed and reinstalled)

5 minutes to the Initializing stage, then a further 2 minutes as to use the app. Same amount of files, 312.5 Tracks/s