IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The full stack looks marvelous. I spent all last weekend listening and breaking in the system.

The  DAC 200 brings out the detail that isn’t edgy or too articulate. I found for my taste that the Bezier 1 & FIR 2 filters are the best depending on the song. I’ll post again in a month or so with a more in depth review.

A little off topic but the MP 200 completely changed for the better when I connected a good power cable to it. Instantly more detail and a lower noise floor. Just a heads up in case you get the MP like I did. 

5C48886F-40AD-488A-ABC8-5DC049703447.jpeg

B5FE1E63-51C0-4C6F-8513-BC10F1631357.jpeg

F9E12430-AE17-4131-8148-94EFFB0D369F.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:56 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have DSD1024 working on the DAC200 with @Miska’s newest NAA image. Still many things to test and set to my favorite, but so far so good. 

ACADE3F6-1C3F-4101-A431-5DE2E5C38AB2.jpeg

I can only get 256 DSD out of my computer. From what I understand you are feeding the DAC 200 with a NAA? Are you going in USB from the NAA? If you are running this from a computer, do you mind sharing your build specs? :) 

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Are you running into this Mac limitation?

”The playback of DSD files is restricted to a maximum of DSD 256 on Apple MAC computers, as Apple only supports playback in DoP format and does not support native streaming.”

I am using Windows. I think it is the limitation of my processor and graphics card. I want to upsample to 1024 DSD since the DAC 200 is capable of 1024 DSD and I want to hear how it sounds. I am currently using ROON and HQ Player from my computer and connecting directly into the DAC 200. My current settings on HQ Player are Source, IIR, FIR, Shaped, 768 PCM, and on the DAC 200 I have it set to NOS 2. Sounds incredible. I am curious to hear how DSD 1024 sounds compared to my current settings. 

On 8/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

To do DSD1024 on my CAPS Twenty computer, I have to adjust the modulators down from ASDM7ECv2 to something else. I'm listening to DSD256 at ASDM7ECv2 right now will switch to DSD1024 in a bit. 

The PC I'm using is here - 

Thank you for sharing your build. That is a beast of a computer and clean looking. Nice vid too, I like the VU meters a lot. This helps me a lot and gives me some inspiration for a build.🙏

On 8/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Miska said:

Try DSD256 first. For example with:

1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator=ASDM7ECv2

You can then try higher rates. But I'd say it is very good at DSD256.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try it using that combination of filters 👍

On 8/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Miska said:

Try DSD256 first. For example with:

1x=poly-sinc-gauss-long

Nx=poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp

Modulator=ASDM7ECv2

You can then try higher rates. But I'd say it is very good at DSD256.

🤯I like!! I couldn't get anywhere near 256 DSD on the filters listed above, but I was able to convert to DSD 64. I noticed more dynamics and more depth right away. When I try DSD 128 it get too choppy. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 2:44 PM, 1125FPS said:

As a happy owner of the DAC 200 I can answer some of the questions you asked. I left some unanswered. 

Hope this helps.

I respectfully request your kind and generous help for a friend GH considering DAC 200 for GH's 2nd system primarily for TV (may stream Qobuz via M-Connect.)  DAC 200 price is irrelevant to this conversation.   

Most of the below Qs relate to labels on DAC 200's rear panel:

What is SYS IN?

This is used if you have the MP 200. It allows for the MP 200 to communicate with the DAC 200

What is USB SYS?  

I have the MP 200 and in the manual it says to connect the sys in and the usb sys in. It doesn’t explain it further in the manual. I have been using my MP 200 with just the EZ link cable and not the usb.

What is HDMI OUT (ARC?)  

I believe ARC stands for áudio return channel. 

What is CTRL?  

What is CHARGE?  
I’m pretty sure this is to charge remotes or other devices 

Is there ethernet connector (appears not)?

No ethernet for streaming.

Is TV HDMI > DAC 200 OK?  Ditto TV optical > DAC 200?  Which performs better?  

Describe the method for firmware/software updates.

Another friend says DAC 200's DSD decoding is "unique."  If possible, please comment.

Thank you in advance for your kind help.  

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 3:39 AM, OE333 said:

Volume (and all other DAC200 settings) can be controlled from a computer via RS232. If this is an option for you I can give you some advice on how to do that - please let me know.

I have a question that is about volume control. I use a computer as my music server and I also have Roon and HQ Player installed. I use an NAA adapter that plugs into the DAC 200 usb in. With this current setup I cannot control the volume. Will RS232 allow me to control volume using this setup?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Asdfgh said:

Control of the DAC 200’s relay volume over USB from Roon and/or HQ Player software would be a fantastic feature. I would definitely love to see that implemented if possible

I think you can adjust the volume if you have a ROON Nucleus connected to the DAC 200 via USB.

• 2 months later...

I have a question about the MP 200 when using with the DAC 200. I have listened for many hours using my T+A MP 200 connected directly to the DAC 200 and I have compared it to using my computer to connect to the DAC 200 to stream from services like Qobuz and Tidal. I prefer the sound of the MP 200 when it comes to streaming and use the DAC 200 with my computer when I want to listen to DSD. 

Is there an advantage to using the T+A MP 200 with the DAC 200? After many hours of listening I find myself really enjoying the sound of the MP 200.