IGNORED

Audio reproduction is a matter of taste?

32 minutes ago, Rexp said:

So all speakers, for example, are equally good at imaging? There is no better, its all subjective?

Not really sure what this has to do with what I said but if I had to guess, I'd answer that minimonitors present the soundstage in one way. Planar speakers present the image in another. Please tell me which is better so I can make sure I don't make the wrong choice as subjective preference for a one or the other is apparently the wrong way to go about this. 

The most underwhelming, disappointing, worst-bang-for-the-buck-and-effort system I ever heard was at Ralph Glaskal(?)'s mansion, in an Ambiophonic setup with, I forget, dozens(?) of SoundLab(?) speakers arranged around the listener (It was a while ago...). A system set up with soundstaging as the number one priority and I thought the overall SQ it was terrible. Surely not helped by having at least some of the panel speakers simply buzzing with electrical noise...

My subjective taste in imaging was clearly different from Ralph's (who was a very kind and gracious host). Please let me know which of us was right.

IMO there is a sliding scale. Crappy systems, sure we can talk about accuracy to a general concept of what a decent system can do, or how faithful it is to the general idea of what a violin or bass drum sounds like.

But the better the systems get, these gross anomalies are reduced and personal preference rears it ugly head.

There, everyone in this thread is now labelled as being correct. Kumbaya.