IGNORED

Speaker level input to subs and Dirac

A newbie here considering to use Dirac for the first time, f.i. with a MiniDSP SHD Studio with digital ins and outs and (an) external DAC(s).

The setup is 2.2 with TAD ME1 mains and KEF KC62 subs. For the latter I can choose between low (line) and high (speaker) level inputs.

Before I take the plunge:

I am pretty sure Dirac will work in this setup:

SHD Studio --> digital out 1 --> DAC1 --> preamp --> amp --> mains

SHD Studio --> digital out 2 --> DAC2 --> line into subs

However I am considering 

SHD Studio --> digital out 1 --> DAC1 --> preamp --> amp --> mains + speaker level into subs

The latter setup has the advantage of needing only one DAC, less connections and possibly better integration as the mains and subs are driven by the same amp (Reimyo KAP-777).

Will Dirac still work well in this setup? I would guess it will for frequency and EQ but no longer for timing corrections?

audio system

19 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Something to think about:

Maybe you have a player that accepts convolution filter ?

No.

Do you own the SHD Studio already?

It is on order.

(Many set up examples in link above). 

TMI for this room correction/DSP newbie?

But I will take some time to read the thread...

audio system

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

I am pretty sure Dirac will work in this setup:

SHD Studio --> digital out 1 --> DAC1 --> preamp --> amp --> mains

SHD Studio --> digital out 2 --> DAC2 --> line into subs

I agree 😀

Probably the best way. I expect the SHD acts as an active X over. 

2 hours ago, bodiebill said:

SHD Studio --> digital out 1 --> DAC1 --> preamp --> amp --> mains + speaker level into subs

That would open up for full SW solution like Audiolense and 65000 filter taps. And is how Mitch is describing room correction in his articles. Or if you DAC has both AES/EBU + RCA. 

But you need a place to put those filters created by the SW. Anyway, you’ve already indicated this isn’t the path you like to go. 

I’m sure you will get good results with your SHD Studio. This way ought to work well also. I haven’t studied the linked manual in details. You should find answers there and in DIRAC documentation. 

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I agree 😀

Probably the best way. I expect the SHD acts as an active X over. 

That would open up for full SW solution like Audiolense and 65000 filter taps. And is how Mitch is describing room correction in his articles. Or if you DAC has both AES/EBU + RCA. 

But you need a place to put those filters created by the SW. Anyway, you’ve already indicated this isn’t the path you like to go. 

I’m sure you will get good results with your SHD Studio. This way ought to work well also. I haven’t studied the linked manual in details. You should find answers there and in DIRAC documentation. 

Thanks @R1200CL!

The SHD Studio + measurement mic are on their way.

I assume that the second setup with one DAC will also work with SHD/Dirac/DSP but with only one digital stereo signal out: (L) Mains-L + Sub-L merged and (R) Mains-R + Sub-R merged. This will still give some control over the total curve but of course not so much as with two stereo channels (1L) Mains-L, (1R) Mains-R; (2L) Sub-L, (2R) Sub-R. In the latter setup I will be able f.i. to time-delay a sub that is close to the listening position, which will not work in the 1st setup.

I will try both setups and report back... which does not mean that additional comments/suggestions are not welcome :-)

audio system

After doing some reading and YouTube watching I now suspect another possible important benefit of the setup with only one DAC and one stereo output, i.e.

Vanilla Dirac Live deals with one speaker at the time. Meaning that it cannot guarantee proper treatment of f.i. Mains-L + Sub-L combined as the speaker and sub overlap in terms of frequencies but are Dirac-treated separately. Dirac has recently issued a 'Bass Control' plugin (see in-depth video linked below) to deal with that, but I do not think this can be used on MiniDSP products (yet).

The above single-DAC setup already deals with this problem by having Dirac treat Mains-L + Sub-L as one speaker, enabling an improved overal resulting curve. And I expect this to make more of an impact than time alignment of speakers and subs (which is not possible with the one-DAC setup) especially when the subs are close to the speakers as they are in my case.

audio system