IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I let that run overnight when I switched to this server and it has been done for ages. The truth of oil is that Roon is doing a lot of activity in the background most of the time. I don't know why it needs to do it during music playback or why it required 145% of CPU resources during music playback. But it did and it was audible as a loss of quality in the sound.

I dont see my installation doing this.  It runs most of the time about 0.2% with occasional peaks to about 2 to 3%.  However our installs are different as Im not using HQ player.

Not contradicting your experience, but it may not be usual/normal operation for some unknown reason.

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Same here. Issues with CPU even though the library analysis has been done for months. 

Perhaps if we compare setups we might be able to see some kind of correlation between the issue and configuration/usage?

I have a moderate number of tracks in my collection but use Qobuz mostly these days hence the locally stored collection has stopped growing.

image.thumb.png.9f30cf887d62aec775edcaa04ea6ca74.png

Roon Core runs on an AMD Ryzen 7 3800 8 core PC with 32 Gb ram and a striped 4Tb NVME array. Nvidia Quadro P400 graphics.

Using the latest Roon (updated this morning) V1.8 build 806 64bit.

I have multiple wifi connected end-points.    Core feeding an RME ADI2, laptop feeding also feeding another RME ADI2 and a NUC feeding a DAC1.  No DSP going on.

I have set them all playing and will watch the CPU/memory over several days to see what happens.

Current resources

image.thumb.png.bb4520da9eac2a959701d433fd66a0ae.png

12 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Just as a control point, my server runs linux. The crash was due to the non standard theme. 

edit: My server has been up for 1 day and 5 hours, it is using 9.5GB of RAM in total and Roon is using 3GB by itself. However, RAM usage isn't the problem, it's the background processing that causes a loss of sound quality.

Ok :)

I would have thought you could tie in any background process with something in the logs to identify it.

Accessing Logs (roonlabs.com)