IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

6 hours ago, jhwalker said:

The orthodoxy from the Roon team is that bitperfect software is bitperfect; therefore, any discussion of "sound quality" is moot.  They do not acknowledge the possibility of sound quality differences other than from DSP or faulty hardware, etc. - at least as far as I can tell in reading the site and comments from Roon itself.

The article is deleted, but I remember Michal Logva compared Sonictransporter vs a NUC, and he found sound differences. 

I would assume windows or Mac may have more processes ongoing than a clean installation like ROCK or the Sonictransporter. 

It could be interesting with some testing, if anyone is up to it.

Maybe something you could do Chris, using your Sonore endpoint ?

Optical transfer ought to secure that possible unwanted loops from the PC in use, will affect the results. An FMC like the opticalModule or EtherRegen should do. And use singel mode fiber. 

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Yep, I to purchased a new computer and one internal large capacity HD with its soul purpose of core duties only.  Which meant I had to re-learn linux, build it up, move all music off NAS to new core servers internal drive etc... 

Any reason why you did it the hard way ? Wouldn’t ROCK on a NUC or a Sonictransporter be good enough ?

And if heavy HQplayer processing is your requirement, should that be done on same computer as Roon ?

(I use HQplayer on my old Sonictransporter i5, but PCM only). 

On 7/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, AudioDoctor said:

If you want to be insulted, belittled, and treated like an idiot, go ask for support or make a feature request on their forum. Even better, make a request that you hope or believe will improve sound quality.

So this is what they say about your posts: To bad it can’t be verified. I post a reply in Roon forum. 

“Well, for starters, his grammar and spelling need work…

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

Was he being a self-righteous @ssh0le? Yes.

Was he being constructive? Definitely not.

There are ways to comment on how a system could be improved that will get you heard.

B!tching, whining, moaning, saying it’s $h!t and accusing it’s satisfied customers of collusion will get you nowhere, maybe even banned.

It’s pointless, toxic and undermines the efforts of the good people who dedicate their working lives to making Roon the best it can be.

Roon may not be 100% perfect for everyone - show me an operating system/software package that is, but I have zero issues with it. An occasional niggle, sure, but nothing that warrants waging a one man hate campaign against the company and its products.

If you get a Windows update that causes problems for you, do you holler at Bill Gates via every public forum available that it’s cr@p?

Bar the very occasional exception (In 30+ years, I’ve only ever fired one person for this), no one goes to work with the intention of doing a bad job.

Why do some individuals feel it’s justifiable to accuse an organisation of going out if its way to make their life difficult, when in reality, nothing could be further from the truth?

We seem to be living in an increasingly toxic world, where behaviour like this is almost accepted as the ‘norm’.

In my view, individuals should conduct themselves online in the same way they expect others to conduct themselves in the real world.

Good manners and decency cost nothing.”

@AudioDoctor

Impossible to read your feature request post. Text is vanishing. Can you repost ?

Has Roon moderators delete it, or you have a link ?

Edit: I see now it’s the first post in the tread you posted a link to. 

If this poll is representative, you’re among the 16% users 😀

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

After nearly a month, I wasn’t willing to do the try this, try that dance. 

Well, maybe you should answer her anyway. At least you now have contact with the Roon team. 

I don’t think it looks good if you don’t reply, and maybe, just maybe, we can hope that Roon team look into this without you dancing to much 😀

14 hours ago, bobfa said:

They all sound better than Roon.

14 hours ago, bobfa said:

At least with the Linux variants you have some more control of your world!!

Did you test with Linux / Sonicobiter/ ROCK ?

I assume endpoint in use with all comparisons ?

1 hour ago, Pappy Boyington said:

My main frustration with Roon is their constant blaming of "the network" rather than admitting that an application that is that demanding of a network is the outlier.

I think this is the main issue. 

How can we prove this to Roon ? What app to use ?

I can if needed isolate Roon on a separate subnetwork, as I’m using iPFire. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hopkins said:

but when it comes to audio quality, the problem does not lie with Roon

Interesting. I also can’t fully understand why people says different players sound better. I wonder why players sounds differently ? As long as you compare CD quality PCM playback. And especially if you use the same HW for installed SW. 

31 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

I await your article on how to disconnect Roon from HQPlayer with Qobuz

Qobuz is listed as Ravenna compatible, and so is HQplayer. So I think as long Anubis is in the chain, I would expect just to play from Caps 20. Or any other PC. If it’s possible via iPad as control will be interesting to learn. (Without RDT). 

I think it may be possible to configure the master clock by Linux, according to an old tread from 2016, but I don’t think it’s been done. Would be nice to discover a more reasonable priced way to implement the PPT master clock than the Anubis. 

46 minutes ago, jiminlogansquare said:

The same file played via Roon sounds dark and constrained and condensed and with a collapsed soundstage as compared to playback via HQPlayer.

I wish there was a logical explanation to this. After all the file is transferred over network to an endpoint, right? 
And we are talking about Roon + HQplayer vs only HQplayer ? So it applies to local content only ?

I must check out this HQPDcontrol v4. I hope I can use it against my HQplayer installed on my Sonictransporter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is this happening to anyone else? The gray boxes can not be clicked on, and so far I have only seen them appear in "Discover"

Not here. (But i guess we all have different discover results). 

But I was logged off both Tidal and Qobuz when open Roon today. That has never happened before. 

• 1 month later...