IGNORED

Article: You Can Take It With You

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

……yes, usually.  When I used this some time ago with ipCop, (iPfire is a fork of ipCop), it was like sitting on my home network. 
I can browse my files on the remote computer as I was home, everything was as I was locally. Using RDT on my virtual PC (Hyper V), was using same ip as if local. So no other subnet. 

Anyway, I shouldn’t pollute this tread more 😀

I know you’re good at networking, so if time, you may check out iPfire. Here you can have even create subnets in order to have pure audiophile network as well at home. If I ever find time I write about it. I have the installation here with dual SFP’s.

SW is free. It cost you between $200 and maybe up to $400 in HW, depending of speed requirements combined with your personal firewall requirements. 

However you can test this on any old PC, as long as you have dual network interfaces. And this is how one should start. To familiarize yourself with this way of managing your network. 10 years old PC is fine. 

So actually I know for sure, those that have two locations, and like the network to look as you’re at home, use iPfire or similar, (not that I know any good options) and you don’t even use the road warrior function, but direct connection. 

Road warrior is more, as name indicates, when you’re one the move, and need access locally to your home network. (Still functioning is is equal). 

Be careful, just be cause you can access stuff directly, doesn’t mean your on the same subnet. I VPN into my house all the time and can access anything. But, Roon works 20% of the time because my router won’t hand out an ip on the same subnet. 

I’ll check out iPfire. Very interesting if it works. Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps another article is coming :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png