IGNORED

10G Fiber Media Converters

Below is my network devices, please let me know where to install the FMC is the best.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter™ 12

Omnitron Systems iConverter® 10GXT

MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN

SOtM sNH-10G

LUMIN T2

Thanks!

I think you are just going to have to do various configurations in order to determine the “best”.

Really not sure why you have the FMC in the first place. From what I can determine the other three boxes have SFP or SFP+ ports which means you can use SFP modules across the board. If you must use the FMC, then it has to go before or after Mikrotik which has SFP+ ports. I guess running various configurations will prove what effects you get.

In my Mikrotik, I can run SFP+ modules (10Gbe) to my Intel X520 NIC (music server) but was seeing a huge number of pause frame “errors” because everything downstream is SFP (1Gbe). Can’t say that it caused a degradation of SQ or not but ended up just using SFP modules and show no pause frame “errors”. You should be able to monitor this in the Mikrotik RouterOS or SwOS.

Also, including the FMC means yet another box and required power supply.

Best of luck to you.

14 hours ago, jaynyc said:

So, use one of the SFP ports in the Sotm switch, then to FMC via fiber, then to Lumin via UTP.

@VFplease follow this quote.

Since it's not clear to me SFP+ is supported (in web page and pdf manual), I suggest using 1310nm 10km 1G SFP module(s) instead of 10G modules.

Use a Corning fiber between the SFP module and the FMC, and unshielded CAT-6 between the FMC and the Lumin.

Although this is different from the setup you need, take a look at this page for reference:

https://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead