IGNORED

Ethernet transmission rates for 96, 192, DSD64 and higher

One and a half

Question

Hi!

When transmitting hi-res data over Ethernet, does the file transmitted depend on the transmission speed or protocol, or is it the same speed regardless of sample rate and the packets are just piled on top of one another?

Main reason is to work out what cable to use, and when sending DSD256 will buffers collapse along the way.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 answers to this question

This is really dependent on the app sending data. 

Some apps will saturate your network link with as much data as it can handle, while other will trickle data as needed. 

You can see this easily on a Windows machine by watching the network traffic while playing music with different apps. 

Here’s an interesting thread from last year. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks, I had forgotten about that thread! So it depends on the application.

I have noticed that both Audirvana (3.5) & Jriver in DLNA mode will cause my DAC to activate the mute relay at the start (or end) of the track, sends me nuts. From the graphs, there's a big dip in Jriver to nothing, maybe that's why. Roon does not interrupt and plays without muting the relay and only mutes the DAC when there's a change in sample rate. It's not the Lumin in between the computer and DAC, since it passes the message on.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA