IGNORED

Ethernet cable-from router to streamer.

9 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Do all CAT7 and CAT8 cables break galvanic isolation? I believe all are shielded.

Not all CAT7, but CAT8 yes. Luckily those are not needed for audio, since you can reach 10 Gbps on CAT6A already. And most audio devices are just 1 Gbps anyway.

11 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Is the shielding a problem if both devices are plugged into the same conditioner, i.e. same ground potential?

Generally yes, many audio devices have floating PSU that doesn't have 3-pin mains connection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks Miska. Are all cords with metal connectors a problem, or could the shield still have broken conductivity?

Standard compliant STP cables do have the shield ends connected to the connector body. Standard UTP cables have plastic connector bodies.

3 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I assume connecting an ohmmeter between the connectors would be a way to tell?

Yes, that would tell.

7 hours ago, intothedragon said:

Would it be the cause of this electrical interference? Changing all my cables for UTP with plastic terminations would solve the problem?

Possibly yes... Especially given that Node 2i is floating PSU device. But it is important not to establish a ground path also from it's input side, even if it gets one from the output

Also, would a Network Surge protector like this one Delock Network Surge Protector 6 kV RJ45 do any good in this situation?

Spike could also leak through the PSU, but if things work with WiFi, then it is less likely to be the reason.

Also, would a Network Surge protector like this one Delock Network Surge Protector 6 kV RJ45 do any good in this situation?

Those require pretty high voltage spikes to do anything. But it seems to have plastic connectors, so it likely at least breaks the ground connection through network cable shield and could fix the problem that way...

• 1 month later...