IGNORED

Article: Calibrating Desktop Speakers using Focus Fidelity Filter Designer

18 hours ago, mitchco said:

Hi @dathzo Having spent more time with both DL and FF there are two differences that have come to light.

Dirac uses IIR filters at low frequencies. IIR filters cannot address the non-minimum phase behaviour at low frequencies that exists in virtually every room. This requires excess phase correction, which means a FIR filter. While Dirac does use FIR filtering, it is not at low frequencies. One can verify this by using a FIR filter designer to open up a Dirac correction filter, extract the excess phase response and observe no excess phase correction at low frequencies.

The other issue is the result of Dirac's averaging algorithm. More measurements for the calculation means a loss of correction resolution at the listening position. In this AES paper https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=15154 it was noted via listener preferences that "measurements more localized to the primary listening seat correspond better with listeners’ subjective ratings, particularly below 300 Hz." My measurements (and listening tests) comparing Dirac with another DSP software that has full FIR filtering shows this as well: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/58546-article-dirac-live-2-digital-room-correction-software-walkthrough/?do=findComment&comment=1098275

Based on my tests, both measurements and listening, Focus Fidelity does not have these issues. 

Thanks a lot @mitchco

1. A follow-up question: how can you open the Dirac Live filters? The only file I see is the *.liveproject that I am not sure can be opened with an FIR filter designer software? Would be great when I can :)

2. Regarding the paper, as you said, it mentions "measurements more localized to the primary listening seat correspond better with listeners’ subjective ratings, particularly below 300 Hz". However, they still are doing averaging of 6 measurements, only that in one case (I below), the measured points are more scattered around the room than in case II (measurements around main listening position). I understand that Dirac has the option of a Tightly-focused image, which is similar to situation II. One can go even further and omit some of the measurements (or even measure the main listening position more than once) to get to a correction that gets closer to the preferred setting in Olive's paper? In that sense, I think the averaging "issue" may be avoided, but certainly not the lack of FIR filters at low frequencies...

image.png.915351358a0d2eece196372490fefd2b.png 

@dathzo the method of capturing a Dirac filter is in the post I linked. My complaint is not the number of measurements, but the averaging algorithm used. Again, looking at the link in my previous answer to you, one can see in the comparison chart a loss of correction resolution from 100 Hz to 800 Hz in the Dirac correction. And looks to be over-correcting at 90 Hz. As I said in my previous post, David's FFD is using a different algorithm for multiple measurements and does not have these issues. Cheers!

1 hour ago, mitchco said:

@dathzo the method of capturing a Dirac filter is in the post I linked. My complaint is not the number of measurements, but the averaging algorithm used. Again, looking at the link in my previous answer to you, one can see in the comparison chart a loss of correction resolution from 100 Hz to 800 Hz in the Dirac correction. And looks to be over-correcting at 90 Hz. As I said in my previous post, David's FFD is using a different algorithm for multiple measurements and does not have these issues. Cheers!

Thanks @mitchco! Still learning and very far from your knowledge, so apologies if my questions seem trivial to you. I’m not familiar with the loopback sweep through jriver and hence the question.

indeed I see what you mean with the resolution and over correction, that at least it’s clear.

thanks again.-

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, Markus8 said:

@Focus Fidelityhas just released a new version of Impala and Focus Fidelity Designer with clock drift correction feature. More at https://www.focusfidelity.com/clockdriftcorrection

Glad to see this evolving and looking forward to hearing feedback of others. 

I certainly plan to try it.

One problem is that I have a new sofa on order, so unless I find myself with lots of free time (which is unlikely at the moment) I will probably wait until my room is reconfigured slightly with new seating before remeasuring.

It is great to see updates like this, I look forward to experiencing the results!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@mitchco What do you think of the (how shall I put this?) slightly eccentric target curve used in the above linked review?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...