IGNORED

ASR Audio Science Review forum YouTube Channel

asdf1000

...I think the case described above fosters a faux-objectivity---I call em as I see em position---specifically for the audience.

Because, who cares/benefits if a product tests bad because the "donor" was using it to test his gamma-ray generating Hulk device? Or packed it in newspaper to ship.

At least if it came direct from a manufacturer, you would be identifying a potential QC issue at the company, which would benefit the audience. 

I imagine it's not easy running a site like that, getting samples to test, etc. but I would consider the source, as granny (not an audiophile) used to say.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

28 minutes ago, lucretius said:

What high-end manufacturer is going to submit their gear for measurement? 

I think it might more accurately read: What high-end manufacturer is going to submit their gear for measurement to that site.

Manufacturers submit products in many areas of the marketplace for evaluation and measurement, or to places where measurement is a known aspect of the review.

If sites, magazines, individuals can afford it, they buy products just like customers would, and review them.

There are industry people on this site. If what I wrote is factually inaccurate (I know it first hand for certain non-audio products) I'm sure they will correct me. And I will necessarily accept that criticism. I don't intend, BTW to speak for all companies at all times, for all reviewers.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Hello @lucretius

For example, Car and Driver receives cars from automakers on loan. I understand their long-term tests are based on vehicles they purchase. 

I understand other auto and motorcycle magazines use a similar model. "My" marketing group spent a fortune shipping a proto-type moto around to reviewers.

I am personally very familiar with the bicycle industry, and know first hand that bikes and gear are routinely sent to magazines and websites for review. 

That's how most market segments work.

Although I am not in the audio industry, my understanding from conversations with people who are in the industry and from interviews and articles, is that manufacturers do send gear to magazines and online reviewers for...reviews. 

Some companies will send products to me (you too) for evaluation. I may or may not purchase them. I may even go to a site like this one and review them, good or bad. I could measure them too, I suppose.

Consumer reports, they state, use "secret shoppers" to ensure the reviewer has the same experience as any consumer might from a product (e.g. a sample isn't "tuned" or cherry-picked).

This is probably the best way to ensure neutrality, but a costly model, as noted by other posters previously.

That said, it seems unlikely that (fill in your favorite audio manufacturer here) would send expensive gear to Buddy's Audio Review Site.*

This is where you criticize me for not offering a litany of examples of audio sources.

Then I quote myself:

"Manufacturers submit products in many areas of the marketplace for evaluation and measurement, or to places where measurement is a known aspect of a review."

...and I suggest that the term marketplace is not confined to the audio marketplace.

Then you say: but that's dopey because we're talking about audio on an audio site. OK. 

But then I likely ignore what comes next. No offense, but I don't know you and I am not looking to spar with you, or anyone, actually.

I don't know that fellow Amir either, although I read his reviews for quite a bit when I was researching products for purchase. 

In my opinion, I did not find his reviews very helpful...to me. Perhaps it is otherwise for you, or others. Makes sense. It's a big planet. Lots of styles and tastes. 

*No offense to anyone named Buddy, or to their site, whether real or imaginary.