IGNORED

BIOS help to get to ASDM7EC DSD256 with HQPe & i9-9900K?

barrows

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

@Miska,  I contacted Andrew (SGC) and asked him about his implementation of HQPe, and he said he loads it with the all the default settings intact and does not change anything.  I am thinking specifically about the multicore setup, as many mention this for HQP desktop being important.  Can you confirm that the default settings for HQPe should be fine?  (Not the configuration settings, there is no multicore set up settings in configuration).

There are just various builds of HQPlayer Embedded...

Default is "auto". Since HQPlayer Embedded is designed for hardware manufacturers, hardware related settings are primarily in the config file, but not exposed through the web interface to end users. Because those settings are supposed to be set by the hardware manufacturer who knows the hardware they are shipping HQPlayer with.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

23 minutes ago, barrows said:

Jussi, I took a few minutes at Signalyst's website and could not figure this out, or even find where this would (HQP OS) be available.  Please understand, I am mostly computer illiterate when it comes to loading OSs, etc.  I am also running headless, and am not sure how I would control this, or integrate with Roon, etc.  

https://www.signalyst.com/custom.html go to the bottom and click "Download and installation instructions". See the section "Downloading and configuring bootable image". You need 7-Zip to decompress the archive and then you use something like Etcher to write the .img file to the boot media.

You can then use HQPlayer Client for example to figure out the IP address if you don't have console access. Or in good case it appears under name "hqplayer" on your network. Then you point browser to it and configure it - no different from sonicOrbiter OS.

From this point on it is no different from sonicOrbiter OS.

HQPlayer Embedded is headless, and HQPlayer OS is too.

You point Roon Core to the HQPlayer as usual. Unfortunately Roon doesn't support HQPlayer autodiscovery like HQPlayer Client or HQPDcontrol app do. (Roon's HQPlayer support has been left dangling on early v3 state)

4 hours ago, barrows said:

OK, I have a USB stick and used Balena to etch the bootable image.  Is getting the server to boot from this as simple as putting at the top of the drive list in the boot order in BIOS?

Yes it is, in addition most BIOS have a boot menu to select a temporary boot device. There's usually similar hot key to enter the boot menu as there is for the BIOS settings.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

There is one scenario that does cause stuttering, and it is if I activate-check the HQP setting for "multicore DSP". Sounds counterintuitive, but that's what happens. Jussi wrote me that thatparticular setting is mainly for the non-Intel processors, and should be off for Intel (I hope I got that right).

The check box has three states that are also shown when you hover mouse over it.

• Unchecked - all parallelizations disabled
  • Checked - all parallelizations enabled
  • Grayed - automatically detect which parallelizations to use

In most cases it should be set to grayed to let HQPlayer auto-configure itself.

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Is there some similar setting active in your setup?

There is, and it defaults to auto-configuration. But it is not visible in the user interface, because it is supposed to be set by the hardware manufacturer based on their knowledge and testing of the hardware. Since HQPlayer Embedded is primarily for a "device firmware" kind of use.

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Works fine bypassing SO by running HQP OS booting from a USB stick, ASDM7EC DSD 256, so clearly the problem is with how HQPe is implemented with SO, @agillis?  Serving files from Roon to HQPe from my laptop.

This is without any trick BIOS settings, just XMP 1 and WiFi disabled, all other settings at defaults.

At least we now know it is somewhere on the software stack. So we can immediately forget about toying with hardware anymore.

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

The unfortunate news is that this gives me no simple path forward which I am capable of achieving.  I assume this means I need to load a different OS (Audio Linux, etc) and HQPe, and Roon, and configure everything myself.

Minimal Ubuntu Server 20.04 install is pretty straightforward. And then adding needed packages on it. This is what I use on my servers that have something bigger than HQPlayer OS.

• 3 weeks later...