IGNORED

Best setup for MacBook Pro > AV receiver?

I'm new to high(er)-end digital audio - have been using iTunes for some time and have a rather large MP3 collection I've enjoyed very much - but have recently become intrigued by the possibilities of higher-quality audio. I found this excellent forum a couple of weeks ago, but haven't seen a post yet that succinctly answers my question.

Since purchasing a new MacBook Pro for my digital photography editing, I've converted my older (2006/2007-era) MBP to a music server housing my entire music collection (about 250gb at this point) and would like to use the best possible setup to stream this music to my Onkyo AV receiver (which has built-in 192/24 DACs).

Right now, I have an Airport Express (latest version) connected via GB Ethernet and optical out to the receiver. I'm using the Ayrewave software player and Airfoil to stream to the AE, but my understanding is I'm limited to 44.1/16 by the Airfoil / AE combo, and I'd like to be able to feed the highest possible quality into my receiver. Is there a combo that will let me:

* stream from my MBP > receiver via GB Ethernet (no need for wireless)

* accept the maximum possible output from my MBP (I believe the highest possible internal output on these is 96/24)

* get a higher output (possibly up to 192/24?) from my MBP

* transmit the stream unmolested to the receiver?

Appreciate any / all help.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

There is no wireless solution (for resonable cost) which meets your criteria.

If you're happy with wires, the most cost effective method of connecting a computer (Mac or PC) to a DAC, including AV Receiver, would be the M2Tech HiFace. This £100 / $150 device connects to USB and offers a SPDIF output at upto 24/192.

If you want to use wireless, then look at the Squeezebox Touch.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

is a good start, coax is a cleaner interface, far as jitter goes compared with optical.

The M2 Tech Hiface needs proprietry drivers to 24/192 which is not my preference, if you can live with a very clean signal to 24/96, the Halide Bridge, using native drivers is highly recommended.

Also Wavelength WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter uses native drivers with OSX 10.6.4 + albeit dearer than the high face, but no special drivers required.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks to everyone. It appears what I'm looking for does not yet exist :/ but you guys gave me some great advice re: USB > S/PDIF converters. I may spring for one of these and move my MBP across the room to take advantage of this great option. Really appreciate the help.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Devices such as Linn's DS range allow you to stream audio from a computer (or NAS) controlled via a computer (or device such as iPad). The problem here is one of cost - the Linn DS range start at £1000.

Alternatively you could site a MacMini or mini-PC at your HiFi rack and use your laptop to control it. Or control your "audio" laptop with the iPod Touch / iPhone / iPad remote software.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I can tell you that having the Macbook Pro connected to your hifi through an optical cable is the simplest and truly decent sounding options you have. The question becomes how many 24/96 files are you listening to and is there other parts of your system that need looked at before investing much at all in getting music from your MBP.

I'd think a bit before I jumped on the USB to Spdif bandwagon.

Lot's of moving parts for what gain?

There is a terrific cable from Chord that is called the Optichord and can go right into the combo digital/headphone jack of your MBP and then into an optical input on your A/V receiver. To me that is the quickest and most solid way to dip your toes in the digital waters.

PS. If you have a hankering to spend money then a seperate Dac is really the place you want to look. The new Rega Dac sounds great with a MBP using optical into it. Solid as a rock and superb, it would definately make your A/V receiver sit up and take notice.

David

Since you list "stream from my MBP > receiver via GB Ethernet (no need for wireless)" as one of the solutions, I'm guessing your Onkyo supports UPnP/DLNA streaming. That's hands down the best solution to deliver content from your MBP to the Onkyo. Although the DACs in the Onkyo are 192/24 capable, the only means of getting content with that sample rate to the DACs is via HDMI. The network connection will get you 96/24 on a variety of formats and sound great. As long as the UPnP server software running at your MBP supports all the content formats you wish to play at the Onkyo, you're good to go.

@realhifi -

I like the idea of using the optical out on my MBP into my AV receiver - so no need to stream across the network. I will probably give that a try before I go forward spending more $$ ;)

@CharlyD

Actually, the Onkyo TX-SR806 I have does not have inbound Ethernet, so DLNA streaming (at least directly to the receiver) is not possible. That feature will definitely be on my list next time I upgrade, though - the TX-NR5008 looks pretty dang good, but I wish they'd make a receiver with all the bells and whistles *without* a 2nd / 3rd "zone" section. I will *never* need or use those extra zones, and I'm sure they add cost :/

I took the leap and moved my "server" across the room into my audio stack today. Connected via optical into the Onkyo, the sound is pretty much as good as my current equipment will reveal, I'd imagine ;) so I think I'm done . . . for now.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice!