IGNORED

Diretta audio protocol

46 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

I am on the fifth day of my Diretta trial. I use it with Roon and also have tried it with HQPlayer (and Roon). Amazing what software can do. Usually I am using Roon under Euphony and their Stylus endpoint feature. Diretta makes the sound somehow more full, more present. I am bad in describing things in English.

Thanks to ipv6 I could use the second ethernet NIC of my mainboard with Diretta. Interesting the throughput with Diretta to my NUC as Target compared with HQPlayer when used my NUC as NAA via this second ethernet NIC:

Diretta01.jpg

Diretta03.jpg

It's nice you can remove the USB stick after booting up.

Yeah, NAA traffic pattern is that way by design, on purpose. You also see somewhat lower overall bandwidth usage due to less protocol overhead.

I specifically don't want the pattern Diretta has, it too much mimics the problems of USB Audio Class.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 1/9/2021 at 6:45 PM, jabbr said:

Err ... sorry this isn't how modern NICs work. My Mellanox ConnectX-4 and 5 NICs ***most certainly*** don't generate a CPU interrupt for each packet.

In ancient days, perhaps, but modern networks just don't do this and the topic is far too complex for a robust discussion here ... see RDMA, ROCE

Also look at how an FPGA processes Ethernet.

A lot of these things is frankly why I'm hesitant to look at Diretta without access to a highly technical whitepaper. It's just handwaving to me otherwise.

If protocol uses very small packets, it'll certainly have very frequent wake-ups. Something I specifically want to avoid with NAA. When NICs bundle several MTUs together, it just makes protocols relying on small packets suffer (for their own good).

34 minutes ago, jabbr said:

In summary: the entire TCP/IP stack can be implemented on the NIC:

https://shelbyt.github.io/rdma-explained-1.html

https://community.mellanox.com/s/article/what-is-rdma-x

in any case my point is that the CPU “wake up” issue is not inherent to TCP/IP and the idea that an arbitrary protocol is “better” than TCP/IP is not in following with modern network implementations. 

Yeah, for gaming, the popular Killer NIC has also been doing that to reduce latencies and CPU load. I have bunch of Gigabyte motherboards with Killer NIC. Intel has also pretty good offloading support even on the cheaper NICs integrated to the motherboards.

HQPlayer NAA protocol (built on top of TCP and UDP) is trying to utilize these features

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, Exus said:

Then I also have the problem all the time that HQPlayer won't start properly because it somehow fills up the log. Maybe @Miska can help me here.

I think one issue here may be that, HQPlayer needs to get know physical properties of your DAC and Diretta ASIO driver is hiding those behind some obscure figures. One of the very important primary features for HQPlayer is to be able to figure out as much detail as possible about the actual D/A conversion hardware. And any extra layers between damage that goal. One of the reasons why I developed NAA protocol with the goal to expose the actual D/A and A/D hardware through as-is with maximum details.

HQPlayer then adapts it's processing to those hardware details.

14 hours ago, Exus said:

After I switched to ASIO driver in HQPlayer and try to restart HQPlayer, both processes, the one for HQPlayer and the ASIO driver are frozen.

I kind of totally fail to see why would one use Diretta with HQPlayer...

Seems like Diretta claims the hardware to have some 40+ channels which is unlikely the case.