IGNORED

Does a desktop need a break-in/burn-in period?

Dean Shias

Actual Desktop. Basically my old desktop that I transferred some components over (audiophile USB card, Hard drives, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer, etc) to my new desktop. It doesnt sound as good as the old desktop. Wondering if new desktop needs some time to burn in to open up. Just bought this desktop a few days ago.

sandyk: actually its the other way around. hard drives previously were in a plastic brackets. So is the new computer, but there seems to be a little metal contact. Again.. its not that the sound is bad.. just didnt expect the other computer to sound that much better.

(Desktop = Windows 10 regular computer)

Im wondering if the difference in power supply configurations can make such a difference. Dell Precision T7610 vs PowerSpec B745 Desktop. I just put all the hardware back into my older Dell and its a big difference in sound quality. Numbers are not just numbers.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627304/powerspec-b745-desktop-computer

https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/smb/merchandizing/en/Documents/Dell_Precision_T7610_Spec_Sheet.pdf

20 hours ago, One and a half said:

For burn in, I would not believe that to occur for a computer. Both machines have the same OS , the Dell is a Xeon and the other an i7.

I prefer a Xeon over an iSomething, for audio, not sure why technically, the Xeon is effortless and less noisier than the i7,9,5,3 etc. Speed and having a super fast graphics card is not an issue, but allocating cores to certain cores does have advantages, let the OS have a couple and keep a core just for audio server like Roon.

For Fidelizer, I found the last few builds not so good on a server OS but there’s a new version just out, will give this a try.

AT power supplies are much of a muchness as far as noise is concerned, so don’t be too concerned over that.

Processing and bonding structures is at a guess better with the Dell as a workstation, if it’s like a HP more welded joints in the case structure and less pop rivets which are really bad for bonding. Plastic drawers for HDD isolates the case from the frame which is not good for audio. XT 1990’s computers paid a bit of attention to bonding , drawers for HDD were steel and using screws to secure them to the chassis. This is of course in an ever controlled world by bean counters, counter productive to cost, so the plastic drawers are used sadly to a detriment for audio purposes.

As @sandyk points out, hard drives emit noise and this is picked up by neighbouring components. Bonding these to the chassis helps channel the noise back to the power supply and not via USB so much to the DAC.

Finally a decent explanation!.. Thanks! Would a dedicated audiophile USB card with a linear PS resist the noise coming from the hard drives? The other thing I like about this workstation is that the motherboard doesnt have too much on it lile a dedicated video card.. wonder if that helps with less noise.