IGNORED

Purifi Class D

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jaytor said:

I listen to my system about eight hours a day since I've been working at home for the past year and my desk/computer are at the back end of my listening room. I've been quite pleased with my Purifi based amps. I also have a number of class A and A/B amps that I've compared them to including a couple older amps (Krell KAV-250a, Bryston 4B-ST), a Parasound JC5,  DIY FirstWatt F5 turbo monoblocks, and Neurochrome Mod-286 monoblocks. The Purifi amps compare favorably to all these. 

For the last couple weeks, I've been listening to the Purifi amps with VTV buffers that utilize a 6922 dual-triode feeding a pair of Weiss discrete op-amps. At first, I was disappointed with the sound compared to the Neurochrome buffers, but I'm starting to enjoy the sound. I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to them, or if they are still breaking in. I have around 100 hours on them now. Unfortunately, it's a pain to switch back and forth since they use different connectors. After I put another 100 or so hours on them, I may switch back to give the Neurochrome buffers another try. 

Unless the VTV buffers continue to improve a fair amount more, I'd have to say that the Neurochrome buffers are a much better value. But I'm also considering trying a different set of tubes to see how much difference that makes. 

Well tubes can make a huge difference, but I do trust VTV to have selected some that match well (he's been in the tube business for decades).

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Iving said:

I've heard more valve era records than I could afford to buy as I have traded commercially for some years. It's a particular kind of experience playing these discs inc. DECCA wb sxl etc even on mediocre decks (the ones I use for cleaning records - you can easily hear the difference). I can't say I've done systematic comparisons with digital equivalents. But many congruent digital non-classical issues sound dire - Loudness if nothing else. So bad that it's easy to attribute to the master not the digital system. What I'm really saying tho' is that no matter what I say - the market has an opinion of its own. To acquire a respectable collection of these records now, and buy the deck fitting for their enjoyment,  you'd have to be pretty seriously wealthy. Probably there's also a longevity argument in play for long term investment. 

Yes, I have hundreds of irreplaceable records pressed in that era.  Ribbon mics, judicious use of tube compressors, tube recording gear, and engineers that actually understood music :)  Those are the gems, and too few people have heard what analog performance was capable of and what those records can do. But that's the past.   RCA original Dynagroove, Mercury Living Presence, CBS Six Eyes :) Sigh. 

8 hours ago, barrows said:

So here, what you are actually saying is that you like the sound of lots of distortion/noise added to the music: tube gear of that era certainly added lots of distortion, same with ribbon mics, etc.  There is nothing wrong with that per se, but it is not actually high fidelity to the music.  And yes, I have heard many vinyl records from the late 50s and 60s.  In fact it is very likely that a clever digital recording engineer, today, could emulate that sound for you in their recordings using DSP.

I disagree.  Today and back in the 'golden age' the recording and editing process is a series of decisions and compromises as to what distortions and EQ the engineer has to navigate to serve the musical intent.   The result of that process guided by the recording engineers of the time working within the limitations of their equipment made decisions that I think resulted in some of the best representations of music I've heard.  Quite a lot of that was a very heavy hand in editing, including compression used in the service of the music.  The solid state equipment that followed the tube equipment really sucked in the 70s (IMHO) and recording engineers changed their vision of how music should sound according to the limitations that presented. Some of that was the odd order harmonics that gear added to the sound. It took decades for the technology to catch up.  And early digital recordings were mostly dreadful too. Today we are finally in a different world, where I believe that the technology used in the studio stewarded by the best engineers can serve the music as well.  But finding recordings of major artists that get to that level remains a challenge :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...