IGNORED

Article: Review | AURALiC ARIES G2.1

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the great review.  I was expecting a $20K price tag at the end, but at "only" $5K this may be the solution I've been looking for to add streaming to my system.  I currently use a Naim Uniti Core for 100% of my listening--it is a purpose built CD ripper and server, local only.  I've tried streaming a couple of times, but on my primary system, Qobuz cannot match local files for the last little shimmer.  Did you compare Qobuz to local files on the Aurilic for sound quality?  Could you tell the difference?

I didn't do a direct comparison of local versus streaming. That's kind of a crapshoot. I stored all my content not available for streaming locally and streamed the rest while using the ARIES. Overall it's a fantastic system. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

There is no comparison that would satisfy the majority of people. All the products mentioned so far are different from the ARIES with respect to feature set. Thus, a comparison is quite strange. 

In addition, if this was consumer reports and we purchased all the products, we’d have all the freedoms we want. However, we request review samples. We don’t ask manufacturers to supply components for us to use indefinitely and compare to everything that comes in. Who wants their product to live at a writer’s house for purposes of comparison with unknown future products that may or may not be even similar products? No manufacturers that I know, even if the products are the best. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Classifying products was easy when we had physical media. CD player, or CD transport and DAC. Now that we have everything under the sun, it’s much harder to classify components. 

I usually start with either D to A or D to D categorization. Then add stuff like streaming if it can accept audio from a streaming service, server if it can act as a server, etc... However, some servers have local storage while others don’t and some are hybrid. It’s really endless. 

• 1 month later...