IGNORED

Archimago on Greene vs Harley

Archimago/Greene/Harley  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

What Kal said... 

Measurements can show if the reproduction is closer to the recorded signal. If it's different in some specific ways from measurements from another device, this can also tell which one is more true to the original, and what needs to be corrected in the other device. Even if we don't yet know every possible thing to measure, what we do know is still very useful since it allows us to make meaningful, repeatable comparisons and get to the root cause. This article from Benchmark covers my philosophy.

Take a real world example, if I record a voice at 24/192 and compare to the original, it sounds close enough to be deemed an accurate reproduction. No doubt the measurements would be similar. Now if I downsample to 16/44 it doesn't sound like the original but the measurements won't reflect this will they? 

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Of course measurements can reveal if the recording is at 16/44 or 24/192. Do you mean that you can tell the difference between speech recorded at 24/192 and the downsampled version at 16/44? That's not a hard test to perform. In fact, the recent Hi-res test by Mark Waldrep was of a very similar design. Didn't you take part in that test? How did you do?

Nevermind