IGNORED

Apple M1 chip for music server?

barrows

14 minutes ago, matthias said:

I do not think that the M1 is powerful enough for EC modulators.

But they are working on a new smaller Mac Pro which could be fit for the task.

Matt

While I kind of figured that it would be too good to be possible, what are you basing your opinion on?  My understanding is that for Intel, a I7-9700K is the necessary "minimum" (those chips are selling pretty cheap these days as well).  Jussi says base clock rate is generally the dominating factor when trying to run HQP 4 and the EC modulators

and the I7-9700K runs at a base rate of 3.6 GHz.  So far I have seen no info on clock rates for the M1.

As Apple has said they will transition fully to their own chips throughout the line within the next two years, I am sure we will see more powerful chips from them for Mac Pro desktops, and super high performance laptops.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ccc888 said:

Has anybody get one yet? Really want to know how HQPlayer performs under M1 chip. I use HQP3, don’t even know if it’s supported by the new OS.

@Miska, has mentioned he is getting an M1 Mac for development.  I suspect he will be the one to weigh in on this.  New code will probably have to be written to run with M1 Macs natively (without rosetta).  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio