IGNORED

Monoprice SlimRun USB Fiber Optic not working

Acholate

Question

I bought Monoprice SlimRun USB-A to USB-A Female 3.0 Extension Cable - Fiber Optic.

Connect it to my Denafrips Ares II and also tried with Terminator. Not detected by Windows 10.

Other USB devices work fine. Direct connection to PC also work fine.

Is it just combability issue and nothing can be done?

8 answers to this question

On 11/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, Acholate said:

I bought Monoprice SlimRun USB-A to USB-A Female 3.0 Extension Cable - Fiber Optic.

Connect it to my Denafrips Ares II and also tried with Terminator. Not detected by Windows 10.

Other USB devices work fine. Direct connection to PC also work fine.

Is it just combability issue and nothing can be done?

At the computer end are you plugging the Monoprice into a USB 3.0 port?  That is required. Will not work with a USB 2.0 host port.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:46 AM, Superdad said:

At the computer end are you plugging the Monoprice into a USB 3.0 port?  That is required. Will not work with a USB 2.0 host port.

I tried every port. My Z490 mainboard only have USB 3.2 & 2.0 ports, but I also tried plugging into USB PCI-E card with USB 3.0 ports, still not working 🙁

I don't know much about this cable or your DAC, but I may know why you are having trouble. Some DAC's need USB power to play, and others don't. Having a 120/240V power cord that plugs directly into the wall is not an indicator of whether a DAC needs USB power. 

I believe the Monoprice fiber cable disrupts USB power. If the Denafrips needs USB power, you would need to provide an auxiliary supply like this:

11578789.png

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

My Slimrun works fine from a Z490 Vision D to a Holo DAC.

The Slimrun does not require outboard 5V supply. You have the option to plugin a low noise 5V supply that will will replace the PC 5V power to the end USB plug. The input USB plug remains powered by the PC.

I prefer the sound using 30' Slimrun compared to a  6' Belkin Gold Series USB cord.

CJH

Thanks to both of you. I confirmed my Denefrips DAC needs the 5v power. I tried it with and without adding power to the Slimline cable and couldn’t get it to work either way. I read a discussion somewhere that maybe the power added at the pc end couldn’t be carried over the fiber to the DAC end. I had this working once before but it was with a different DAC.