IGNORED

Article: Sound Liaison One Mic + Recording

Thank you.  Even the YouTube video through computer speakers reveals something different in the sound quality.  

Really enjoy reading about recording techniques.  Will check out the recordings now.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I downloaded two free tracks.  These are instrumental and vocals using the single mic.  While the drum was indeed muffled in the native DXD format, it sounded more dynamic in DSD format.   ????     And the DSD sounded more relaxed and detailed as well.    

Anyone else try this experiment?  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh no, I hope @fas42 doesn't watch. Oops, I let the cat out of the bag.

Oops indeed.  On another thread I mentioned how YouTube is useless for listening to different gear for purposes of truly hearing the quality of the equipment.  So, what I meant was that even lousy YouTube revealed a different quality in the recording.  @fas42, try downloading the free samples.  The recordings are very natural (at least, for me, in DSD - see above).  They cannot be heard properly through the computer.  

4 hours ago, blue2 said:

Can you provide a link to the files? Do you mean Carmen Gomez "A Fool For You" from Sings The Blues, compare the formats? This was a multi-microphone recording.

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/6-compare-formats   I compared the highest resolution DXD and DSD.  Not sure if this is one mic or multi-mic, but the drums didn't sound live to me on the DXD.  Interestingly, when I listed to these tracks with my wife, she was primarily listening to the vocals and found the DXD "richer" than the DSD.  As usual, she is correct about the sound qualities.  Then I realized I am very used to the DSD-type of sound and listen for that.  If the DXD is "more analog," then I understand what folks look for in excellent vinyl reproduction (I've only heard OK vinyl reproduction, even in high-end stores).  To my ears, the "analog" sound on this recording isn't quite live, but then the DSD/redbook isn't either.  Nice to have alternatives.  

For the sampler download, I'll try the DXD since the muffled drums seem to be an issue only when using one mic and trying to record vocals at the same time.  

41 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Are you saying the drums are muffled on the record under review? Cos they sound clear as a bell to me on the redbook download, if only all redbook were done as well as this. 

I downloaded "A fool for you" in PMC352 (DXD premium) and DSD256.  The DSD sounded dynamic and the DXD sounded very nice except for the drum, which was very far back in the mix.  

47 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Completely different album than the subject of this piece. I have the Sings the Blues in both 24/192 and a special request 24/176.4 recording and do not hear what you are describing.

Interesting.  Are those FLAC files?

3 hours ago, PAP said:

I think there are several good audiophile jazz albums by first rate musicians to be had from various labels.

ECM  comes to mind as well as Naim and Linn and most of the Sound Liaison catalogue where the album bespoken here is from.

and, to my ears, Blue Note has may excellent jazz albums going back decades.  Blue Note (in general) has a certain full and organic sound that works for me.