IGNORED

Optimizing Acourate Room+Speaker+Sub Correction

ecwl

1 hour ago, fds said:

Indeed, a great post. Motivated by the great articles by @mitchco and his book I got a Win PC to use Audiolense. It is certainly great but not as automatic as I had thought before starting to use it. Still it works wonders in the region below 400-500Hz in my room to the extend that some tracks - previously basically unlistenable - are quite fine now without excessive room treatments. However, so far it is a bit of give and take since some magic in the mids/heights gets lost when I use it. Also my subjective best filter generated so far creates some preringing in my case that I do not like to see. Thus, I am probably still very much at the beginning of the learning curve. I expect that the findings described by @ecwl will be very helpful for me ... 

Yes. So I find setting the phase correction to be a big challenge because if you look at Acourate, the recommended first trial for excessive phase FDW is 1.5/3 by Uli the designer/programmer. Whereas the default for Acourate is 3/2 and the manual even says you can go up to 5/3. @mitchco was mostly using 6/6 and @Archimago was pushing to at least 4/4 or 5/5 in his system and they all have pre-ringing correction engaged. But perhaps their systems and rooms are better behaved although you can see in one of @Archimago screen caps that there is a Group delay >100Hz at least. Initially, I did notice that a higher low-frequency phase correction is more audible initially because of the improved bass performance but at the expense of transient attacks/accuracy. In fact, I actually created two final filters, one has the low and high frequency phase correction the same, like @mitchco and @Archimago and I even engaged pre-ringing correction for that filter (it ended up being I think 2.7/2.7 on the left and 4.0/4.0 on the right and the right has pre-ringing correction and the left doesn’t because any higher setting just induces >100Hz Group Delay). My other filter ends up being 1.6/3.4 and 2.4/4.4 with no pre-ringing correction which has slightly less satisfying bass phase coherence but in my opinion much better transient response accuracy. At the end of the day, it just shows the fundamental deficits of my speakers and room acoustics. I think that’s why @mitchco and others recommends going from passive XO to active XO but I can’t see myself doing that any time soon. Also, I can’t afford 3 DAVEs and 3-M-scalers and a complicated computer audio setup to feed all 6 drivers.

Another thing I can’t figure out from reading the manual is to see the IACC in Audiolense. I think once @mitchco has his new edition of his book out, I’d buy it to read more about the newer softwares such as Audiolense and Dirac to see his opinion on them.

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Getting the absolute best out of my system and these apps required me to engage @mitchco at https://accuratesound.ca/. He’s the professional who eats, sleeps, and breathes this stuff. I attempted to read everything but I just couldn’t convince myself that wouldn’t cause more harm than good. 

While I do think @mitchco is the master at this, I think my experience has made me question: Is there an optimal convolution filter (assuming you've picked your favorite frequency response, e.g. EBU3276)? Mathematically and graphically, there may be an "optimal" convolution filter that generates the best looking step response possible for specific speakers and room. However, I'm wondering for those generating convolution filters at home, whether some like me would prioritize high-frequency phase response for better transient attacks while others would prioritize a more even low- vs high-frequency phase response correction. 

Unfortunately because of the pandemic, I have not invited my friends over to listen to the various filters I generated. I would be curious whether they would prefer the pure parametric EQ correction, my favorite convolution filter or the more even handed convolution filter I created. To my ears, each filter seems to involve a set of trade-offs amongst soundstage depth/transparency vs bass phase response accuracy (bass coherence/drum sounds) vs transient attack accuracy. But all of them, when set correctly are a significant improvement over uncorrected, uneven bass response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

~Macro question re above measurement-hearing-room discussion:

what is some recommended essential reading for arriving at optimal speaker placement (ie 2 mains + 2 subs)?

Jim Smith’s Get Better Sound

Because you would then know the most important part is actually optimizing your listening position first, if possible. 

And then once you’re done following his recommendations, I would say use a microphone and measure carefully because I don’t have Jim Smith’s ears so I rely on REW and microphone to sort through the bass issues. 

8 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

presumably mitchco’s convolution services would cover this

I was under the impression the service is just to let you setup your system the way you want and then the convolution filter will be created for you. But do let us know about the whole process.

• 1 month later...

I can’t believe I’ve gone back to tweaking my convolution filter. Been doing this intermittently since October 2020 as I can see from my own post. I was originally going to play around with a few target responses but ended up still preferring EBU3276.

But to get an optimal frequency response curve, I have to embrace a -6.7dB drop in volume. So while playing around with the settings, I created a filter that only causes a -2.7dB drop in volume by using less aggressive correction (mostly in the midrange/treble which is just my luck). And I have to admit, i cannot hear the subtle changes due to reduced corrections in the midrange/treble frequencies but I can actually hear better soundstage depths and a more 3D volume for the sound in my system.

So to me, in an ideal world, it’ll be nice to have a perfect room.

Otherwise, once you decide you need to use convolution filters you’re basically trading off:

1) Active crossover with recording engineer DACs vs passive crossover with audiophile DACs

2) More bass phase correction vs better transient response (although the trade-off is not always absolute)

3) More aggressive frequency response correction (which would require a bigger drop in gain) vs better soundstage depth

At some level there is no free lunch. On the other hand, any properly constructed filter would sound better than an uncorrected room response. Maybe it just comes down to preferences up to a point.