IGNORED

HD800 - where to go next?

28 minutes ago, jamesjames said:

In an earlier post I mentioned that I find the Moon 430HA to combine very well with the HD800S.  So I thought I should mention that my more recent listening to the SPL Phonitor xe has actually caused me to think the SPL may combine even more happily!  Like the Moon, the SPL incorporates a crossfeed section which is important if, like me, you require crossfeed.  The amps present music in remarkably different ways I think - and each has its attractions.  The Moon seems smoother, presenting an almost cinematic view of the sound-stage with great depth and width.  I think of it as a very sophisticated presentation, full of structure and layering, and full of detail.  The SPL is somehow lighter, more lively.  It also creates a very strong sense of the performance space, but perhaps more visceral - perhaps closer to a live performance.  In technical terms, the very high internal DC voltage of the SPL (+-60V) seems to allow the high impedance HD800S (~300ohms) to perform to its potential in a way that I haven't previously encountered to the same extent.  I've noticed in the past that amps with high voltage power supplies (like some high quality speaker amps) have affected the performance of these phones in characteristic ways, as have some amps with high output impedances (eg, Sennheiser HDV820, ~ 40 ohms, and some speaker amps >100 ohms).  With the SPL, the HD800S really sings apparently without compression into the higher frequencies, and seems to achieve a more effortless lower end extension.  I find the overall effect reminiscent of the best aspects of the earlier HD800 model - which I enjoy.  For me, the HD800S with the SPL delivers the sort of performance promised, but not quite delivered, by the HD800.  This combination strikes me as pushing the limits of what is possible with headphones and the reproduction of acoustic instruments - quite an achievement.

hmm, so you haven't perused the RAAL SR1A reviews? 😉

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, Musicophile said:

I'm still toying with the idea of upgrading from my HD800, also following the recent review by  @austinpop below.

So today I went to my local headphone dealer, and did an interesting comparison, using their local Chord Dave and Qobuz as a source.

I was able to compare the Final D8000 Pro, the Audeze LCD5, the HD800S (just for reference), the Meze Elite, and the Focal Utopia. I was hoping to throw the Susvara in the mix, but unfortunately my dealer doesn't have it open for demos. The sales guy also said that he wouldn't recommend buying the Susvara's without reference quality amplification. 

As a result of my comparison, I still like the Utopias most, followed very closely by the Finals. However, I find the leather of the Utopias significantly more comfortable than the velvety material of the D8000 Pro. 

The Meze Elite just had a sound profile that didn't work for me, and the LCD5, while being the lightest Audezes I've ever tried, were just too uncomfortable. 

It's really hard to describe, but the Utopias simply sounded "right" for me, and my musical taste.

It seems to me that headphones are an even more personal preference choice than most other hifi components, given how much they need to physically fit you, and I'm pretty sure that your head and ear shape influences the final sound profile. Or maybe I just prefer the sound profile of dynamic drivers over planar ones. 

I'll probably have to finally put my money where my mouth is and upgrade to the Focals. 

Electronics can definitely bias results both from personal preference and sound signature. I would recommend to anyone considering a high quality headphone

that they audition with a Linear Tube Audio headphone amplifier if authentic instrument timbre ranks highest on your preferences.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

A headphone thats not for me but which should also be auditioned are the Dan Clark Ether 2 and Elite headphones. The Ether 2's are impeccably neutral, incredibly light and comfortable and can make other headphones sound irritating in the treble when compared. If I needed to wear headphones 8 + hours a day,

these would be hard to beat for lack of listening fatigue. But they aren't my cup of tea for richness of timbre, Meze Empyrean and Focal Utopia

I would give higher marks.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

A headphone thats not for me but which should also be auditioned are the Dan Clark Ether 2 and Elite headphones. The Ether 2's are impeccably neutral, incredibly light and comfortable and can make other headphones sound irritating in the treble when compared. If I needed to wear headphones 8 + hours a day,

these would be hard to beat for lack of listening fatigue. But they aren't my cup of tea for richness of timbre, Meze Empyrean and Focal Utopia

I would give higher marks.

Sorry crossed wires here, ,meant Dan Clark Stealth, not to be confused with Meze Elite. I have not heard these but find it hard to believe they wouldn't further improve on

the Ether 2

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 6:09 PM, Kelly said:

Thanks for the heads up about the Audio Technica, I am considering getting back into headphones and this one is very appealing. It’s hard to believe that $2k has become reasonable sounding but I suppose time marches on…

Kind of more unreasonable when you need to buy a separate ($$$) headphone amplifier to get the most out of a headphone choice. Miss headphones like the Stax SR5 that can be driven  with an adaptor off your existing main system amp investment, RAAL SR1A at $3k is far easier to justify for me to justify as future purchase because you can do so.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system