IGNORED

Audiophiles: Dead or Dying?

GUTB

On 8/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, Blackmorec said:

The Rajiv thread is about streaming music data over a network. Both local and remote. 

Getting back to the topic of this thread, the reason most young people aren’t caring about Audio has to do with where they find themselves on Maslov’s hierarchy of needs. The current political and business leaders have screwed this generation of young people multiple times thanks to corrupt business practices (dishonest sub prime loans and criminally false debt ratings), offshoring jobs by the millions to increase profits for the few,  zero interest rates thanks to out of control Central Banks’ money printing and now this latest zoonotic virus plague caused (we are told) by criminally negligent food hygiene practices that were well recognised as a severe threat long before any outbreak.  Audio is something to enjoy when all your security needs are met and right now, most young people are nowhere near achieving this goal and really have very little prospect of doing so in the future. 

Essentially money is behaving just like all matter in the Universe, coalescing to form stars, planets, asteroid belts, dust clouds of potential and huge tracts of emptiness. 

Oh no, not Maslov!  The audiophile world certainly does not need any more pseudoscience.

mQa is dead!

On 8/28/2020 at 1:08 AM, ricko01 said:

... to me being a real audiophile, no matter equipment level, means not only a passion for the reproduction chain but also a devotion to carving out time to listen exclusively to the system and not as a shared task while using say social media.

The way I remember it (back in the early seventies), listening to the stereo was indeed a shared task -- the music was a backdrop to social discourse with one's pals or to set the mood for interaction with the opposite sex, and many times supplemented with drugs and liquor. The music, like air, was part of the environment and not distinct from it.

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Interesting fact is that there is some implication in the syndrome that those who really know what they are talking about sometimes UNDERESTIMATE their knowledge.   Geesh, I cannot remember the name of that syndrome...   I guess I don't know :-).

John

Imposter syndrome (not to be confused with Capgras syndrome). OTH, gradual and worsening memory loss is one of the most commonly described symptoms of dementia. 🙁

mQa is dead!