IGNORED

My opinion on why a lot of "jazz" singers fail...

I think "jazz" has been mostly associated with something a bit lively, exuberant or edgy and ..."all that jazz", even sexual connotations. I quite like soft jazz for its more contemplative mood. That said, there is a style of female jazz singer that is almost obsequiously attentive to the letter of the music but not the spirit. A bit like a prudish Miss Prissy's idea of being naughty by fawning over Foghorn Leghorn

-----

"The word “jazz” probably derives from the slang word “jasm,”which originally meant energy, vitality, spirit, pep. The Oxford English Dictionary, the most reliable and complete record of the English language, traces “jasm” back to at least 1860:

J. G. Holland Miss Gilbert's Career xix. 350   ‘She's just like her mother... Oh! she's just as full of jasm!’.. ‘Now tell me what “jasm” is.’.. ‘If you'll take thunder and lightening, and a steamboat and a buzz-saw, and mix 'em up, and put 'em into a woman, that's jasm.’ "

Where Did 'Jazz,' the Word, Come From? Follow a Trail of .

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Stacey Kent is sweet and they make nice recordings. Her phrasing doesn't do a lot for me, especially in some songs where it almost becomes a hybrid of speaking and singing.

Kat Edmondson is a quirky little thing which I quite like but I think is probably an acquired taste. I like Lyle Lovett because he too is quite a quirky character with some off beat type songs (like fat babies have no pride)

Here's our duet of them

Sound Minds Mind Sound

14 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

'There must be something that doesn't quite "click" or even irritates me in a new music that I'm discovering to make me interested'.

I think sometimes, like many things, acquired tastes have to be 'worked on' a bit or nurtured. I wouldn't say "irritates" so much as perhaps doesn't quite make sense or fit the mold - a kind of dissonance maybe - like a paradox is maybe the truth standing on its head to attract attention to itself🤔

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

And I've had a crush on her ever since...

Now to get rid of Elvis and the restraining order...

6 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

Amen brother! She hasn’t been the same since.

She's not difficult to have a crush on !

In the early days I always found her a little bland and a bit too "audiophile" standard. I think she evolved and developed a slightly more funky individual style which I like and respect. The sexy look was probably marketed well also. As they like to say on TV talent shows she "discovered what kind of artist she is". I always assumed that that was due to Elvis Costello's quirky influence but I could be wrong. Great looks, great voice, fabulous pianist.

Sound Minds Mind Sound