IGNORED

AC/DC Hi-Res Is Finally Here.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Great, now I can get speeding tickets in Hi-Res!

I guess you don't have Pantera in hi-res, those guys always used to turn me into Colin McRae x-D  But seriously I quit playing heavy and fast stuff like this at some moment in the past as I was speeding not being aware of it. I used to be a fast and safe driver, now I'm only safe 9_9 they say tickets in NL are the most expensive in Europe..

5 hours ago, JediJoker said:

Samples make me think these are just the CD remasters at higher resolution... Meh.

For me the format makes a difference. Some would add - even with music like that. Of course it would be better if they remastered the material in a masterful way.

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Go figure.

Yeah, I'll probably check out 'Highway to Hell' and 'Back in Black'. Thanks for this interesting quote. I actually have never used the later one as a test recording, in my case this was the other 'Black' album - by Metallica. 

38 minutes ago, Matias said:

Goodbye dynamics as usual... Why can't they keep the same dynamic range??

Don't you know we have a war.? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

keeping the party going...

We actually used to dance to this one while in high school..

BTW Writing about AC/DC while exploring pre-Bach German Baroque is for me a new experience x-D

Going back to Schütz .. no party today.

9 hours ago, Matias said:

Most compressed until now.

I believe there were quite many CD versions with similar numbers (and also the early versions with DR 12, I haven't heard them for a very long time but back then I actually didn't like back then the way they sounded).

What about other aspects of sound? 

Anyone.?

On 7/20/2020 at 2:45 AM, Matias said:

It does sound better. Better textures, cleaner voice, splashes and hihats. It is technically a better recording, well mixed. A pity they could not keep these with the original compression...

PS: same goes with the Onkyo Iron Maiden remasters, but there the compression was stronger.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:49 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

+1

Same here. I actually asked an old friend of mine for a lossless Barry Diament's rip (I have a later digipack version and BD's remasters are generally regarded as gold standard versions on Steve Hoffman forum) and did a quick late night comparison with the new hi-res version of 'Back in Black' using only my headphones, which I must say are not as revealing as my main speakers. The 24bit material sounds much more open in the midrange, the highs are also more open and more extended and there is more 'air' in the recording.

Sorry guys but for me the DR tells only in 30% what a given album sounds like. BTW out of curiosity I have compared DR R-128 factor (Dynamic Range - JRiverWiki ) of two tracks from the album and in both cases the hi-res versions actually proved to be better  B|

@Matias As for the Iron Maiden Onkyo remasters - IMO the compression in their case has simply crushed the music. 

59 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

Celebrating 50 years of AC/DC should deserve much more respect for fans and music-lovers around the world."

Even if I don't think that AC/DC is "the biggest rock band in the world", I can only agree with the rest of the comment.

+1 

BTW I didn't buy and didn't plan to, none of the mentioned albums.

By the way, why did the "large" quality management team at Qobuz.com not notice this? Unfortunately not an isolated incident!

+1

Please note, that will offer the albums in its native sampling rate of 48 kHz, 24-bit. The provided 96 kHz version was up-sampled and offers no audible value!

Not very clever of them - they should leave the 96kHz versions and raise their prices, due to the upsampling cost.. ;)