IGNORED

Metadata gets lost during transcoding...

22 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@miguelito .... I have a mix of flac, alac and dsd and I had to understand why alac files were so different from the others ... (alac don’t manage multi item tags ...)

If you use the “Panes” view (should be a standard view in JRiver) you’ll be able to explore the library by columns, the Artist column should show you all the Artists one for each line.

If you don’t see the Artist column right click on the columns header then click on customize view and you’ll be able to add the Artist column ... or any other column

I see it fine. If I look at the raw data in Yate, I see multiple artist lines (even though they show as one line separated by ;;; in the tag browser - I understand this is just for display). If I look at it in Metadatics, I see multiple lines actually (there's an up/down arrow in Metadatics to go through each entry).

As for Roon: It understands the multi-item artists properly, either by separating artists with a semi-colon (which is what I've always done in Yate) or having multiple artist entries. Saying this just in case people want to know, I checked it works fine.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I was looking for help with how to use Yate tagger and I thought I should ask the users of this forum. Am I the only one who finds Yate perplaxing? I only need it for a 'small' task (currently using the trial version). I have a bunch of music files (over 700) that somehow got deleted from my drive and ended up in my MacMini trash bin. The action can't be undone so now I have a whole bunch of files sorted by albums they belong to (thanks to sort by date modified) but otherwise completely unorganized and thrown together. To manually put them back for Audirvana to pick them up would take me ages so I was thinking if there was a music tagger of some sort that could help me prepare them before i shift them to my music server (external HD) all in properly named folders. Could Yate do that? Normally I use XLD to convert flacs to aiff and by the end of the process the files are where they should be. I'm a bit stuck here so if anyone could help please shout. Thanks!

@S.Magus Yate can help but there is no automatic process.

Load your files in Yate, sort them by album (click on the album header column)

Create where you prefer a folder named as one of the albums

then select in Yate all the tracks for that album

grab them with the mouse and go to the folder created

release the mouse

In this way you will copy the files of a selected album in the folder you created before named as the album

I hope to be understandable

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 weeks later...

Yate is a pretty powerful piece of software and I am sure it can do the rearranging you need. XLD might work as well, but I think it is worth trying to figure it out in Yate.

Yes Yate can be hard to use. I think this is partly because of how many features it has and partly because the makers are rather strict with what things are called and where they belong in terms of tagging norms and conventions, so some things like adding custom tags can be pretty hard to figure out.

But all in all I think Yate is the most powerful of the taggers on mac.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I just found this thread.

In full disclosure ... I'm the lead developer of Yate.

Lot's of transcoders eliminate metadata which is not well known.  Others modify the representative names such the software such as Roon no longer detect the items.

Yate has a Copy Metadata feature on the Actions menu.  Basically you can load two encodings of the same album into the UI and copy the metadata between the two encodings.  You can copy all metadata or be selective about it.  All conversion of the metadata for the appropriate audio format is done for you. The process is also supported by action statements.

As far as Roon goes, Yate's resource page (accessible on the Help menu) has items in the Templates section which when installed will create Roon required custom fields and also supplies a Custom editing panel.  The advantage of using custom fields is that you don't have to worry about the low level representation of the items.

Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 10.51.58 AM.png