IGNORED

Audioholics video on issues with digital room EQ

Curious to hear what @mitchco and @Archimago and @Miska think.

My interpretation is in the video Matt is basically saying pretty looking room response curves aren't realistic of what we hear, especially when we move off axis. Due to reflections also being measured by the mic.

And this actually results in measurements that make things worse, even if they look better.

Except perhaps the Trinnov system with its 3D mic which may better be able to separate reflections from direct sound, at each measurement position.

There's no question this is complicated stuff! Except when there are no reflections of course, then it's simply.

7 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

DSP seems a bit of a minefield.

It is and it's very easy to get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when we see a nice curve in the software.

And like Matt says in the video, this may add bias into us thinking it also sounds better (because we expect it to, because the curve is pretty).

I wish I'd never watched that video now 😁

29 minutes ago, mitchco said:

@asdf1000 I have asked you before, have you tried Acourate or Audiolense yourself? If not, there are demo versions of both that you can try with the tutorials I have written on this site. You can also validate for yourself that the simulations indeed match the measurements perfectly. You can also verify for yourself the question of a single analysis measurement versus multiple measurements...  and listen. Good luck.

Hi @mitchco

Thanks for all the info. Yes I am trying both Acourate and Audiolense at the moment. I've also purchased your book. Your book and articles here are incredibly helpful. I've mentioned to you before, you should be inducted into the Audio Hall of Fame for all your continued contributions.

But at the same time, while enjoying results subjectively, I'm quite happy to still consider the objective discussion, completely separately.

I only shared the Audioholics video because I thought it was interesting for discussion.

Sharing a link and having an interest in this discussion doesn't automatically mean I'm suddenly in a panic about the benefits of digital room EQ. I know on forums people think if you ask a question about something that you are in a panic about the topic but this isn't the case here. I promise !  🙂

Thanks for chiming in here with very useful info about SOTA (Acourate and Audiolense) vs 'the rest' ! 

On 6/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, Miska said:

I do corrections only below about 500 Hz. This is where the room modes are. It is also good to take number of measurements around the listening position so that the correction is sensible for wider area than a pinpoint location.

Then it's not possible to do time domain correction right?

Or you can do partial correction in frequency response and full-range correction in time-domain? Doesn't that get very tricky?

Or partial correction in both frequency and time domain responses?

58 minutes ago, flak said:

The result all of us try to obtain is good sound, but what "good sound" is?

Good question... our answer is explained in this video:

https://youtu.be/T3nO5KxgRIE

:) Flavio

Great talk.

I see there is some long history between you, Mitch and Uli about the debate of single vs multiple point measurements!

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,85631.0.html

This was an entertaining read! Unfortunately some important pictures/attachments have since disappeared from that thread.

I'm in the process of evaluating Audiolense and Acourate. Once Bass Control comes to Dirac Live Processor plugin, I'll add that to my evaluation also an listen!

I enjoy everyone's contributions on this interesting (and complex) topic!