IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

2 hours ago, bbosler said:

of course I do, it can't control what is being fed to it. my point is... if the $640 device can deal with the feed, this $26K device should be able to do so even better. Ethernet is pretty well understood. Packets of data. Re-read my post.. this device has but one fundamental job, it is just an ethernet based Roon server, take data in through the ethernet port  and output the same data via the USB port. It can't even do that one job properly. I'll stand by my analysis. A $26K ethernet server  is not properly designed if profoundly affected by the ethernet feed. 

just curious, how do you know that? based on this review or do you have hands on experience with it and the other servers out there? And to get just a little bit snarky, or do you buy into the idea that "it is the most expensive so it must be the best" mentality that we see here quite a bit? My apologies in advance if you do not, but many of the reviews here follow clearly along those lines.

You may want to start a discussion in the forum if you want to dig into servers and protocols in general. This space is for discussion of the review and Extreme server. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Sorry if I am off topic. My overall point is very simple... sorry if it got lost in the race car tire analogies.

that point is... the Extreme is not taking it to the extreme and is  inherently flawed if it needs help dealing with the data coming in through the ethernet port.  What amazes me is nobody seems to be concerned about that. They willingly accept that at $26K it is profoundly improved by adding a $640 device to the front end. Is that on topic?

Not trying to start a fight, just want to understand where I went off topic so I don't do it again.

You've stated your opinion. That's cool. Just don't beat a dead horse over and over. If nobody else shares your amazement and concern, perhaps you can discuss these in a forum topic as they seem to be more about people's willingness to accept things that you do not. We could replace the Extreme with Server A, B, or C and you'd likely have the same issues with people. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, bbosler said:

now stop with the recommendations as I am spending my retirement 😃

Hopefully that’s the reason you worked so hard all those years. To spend it. 

13 minutes ago, bbosler said:

will be selling my Mutec Ref10, MC-3+ USB, Antelope Trinity master clock, and Lynx Hilo  since no longer needed

Perfect timing. We just opened our Classifieds section. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/classifieds/

12 minutes ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I agree these are unique solutions with MSB and artistic fidelity nevertheless the USB optical connection for me is a very important feature I will not want to miss in any new streamer/server or DAC.

In the future it would ideally become one of the standard I/Os I‘d like to see in any of the high-end digital devices we are talking about here. It is for me the next logic and consistent step to perfect the digital audio signal on its way from source to analog conversion. 

BR,

Raimund

Some DACs like the Ayre QB-9 use optical isolation inside the chassis and require nothing external for isolation. 

Just now, Raimund Heubel said:

I cannot tell but will try to find out and come back later to your question.

But why would speed matter in terms of improving sound quality? I mean what are the physicals explaining the improvement in sound quality Emile from Taiko is perceiving?

BR,

Raimund

My guess is it has nothing to do with speed and more to do with the protocol and design of the output. Kind of like a car with a 500 horsepower engine may be better than a 95 horsepower engine even though both are only going 60 mile per hour. Just a guess though.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bernardl said:

Thanks for this very informative and well written review.

I had considered the Extreme at some point, but I must confess that it being based on Windows 10 was enough to remove it from my list (together with it's weight, I see zero reason why it weighting 43kg instead of 20kg would deliver real value).

Many have compared in the past Win10 to dedicated Linux builds and the conclusion always was that Linux is superior due to it being more lean.

What is your view on this aspect?

Cheers,

Bernard

Hi Bernard, I’m trying to follow your reasoning on this one with respect to weight. Can you help me a little bit?Do you move your music server to different locations often? In that case I can see weight being a factor. 

27 minutes ago, bernardl said:

As far as weight goes, I don't move my server regularly, but my thinking is that I need to be able to move my audio equipment by myself. The only exception I still accept is speakers, but they are located on top of boards which makes them easy to move after initial positioning.

That I can understand. I have some heavy stuff here that I can't move upstairs without hiring piano movers. It's a bummer.