IGNORED

I am having a problem and hoping someone here can help...

5 hours ago, 4est said:

This might sound crazy, but I had a HDD on an iMac on my desk that induced tinnitus. It was barely audible, and the tinnitus subsided after replacing the drive.

There’s subjective tinnitus, which originates within the neurologic system and is heard only by the affected person. And there’s objective tinnitus, which has an identifiable source and can be heard by others.  Examples of the latter include a vascular hum, a carotid bruit, or one’s heartbeat, all of which may be heard externally in the case of a dehiscent jugular bulb or an aberrant carotid. These are often diagnosed by putting a stethoscope over the ear canal or high under the back of the mandible.  Extraneous sound when near a specific hard drive is far more likely to be objective and to have originated in the drive than in a response of the listener’s neurologic system to it.

The characteristics of the sound(s) are often a clue to the causes of tinnitus, regardless of its nature or source.  If I heard a faint high pitched whining or similar sound when near a drive, especially in both ears, I’d suspect a mechanical problem like a bearing and ask others if they hear it too.  I’d stick a mic against it, record a few seconds of activity, and look for adventitious levels in the spectrum display in Audacity or whatever you use.