IGNORED

Article: Review | Innuos PhoenixUSB Reclocker

I'm just getting into this myself. However, I believe you're referring to the internal word clock(s) of your DAC which times the samples into the D/A chip. The Phoenix times the packets of data from your USB source to the USB receiver of your DAC. So, no matter how good the clocks are in your Lampizator, this is working separately and prior to your DACs decoding. 

Currently I'm using an IsoRegen > tx-USBultra SE to handle reclocking/regeneration/isolation, but I have a Phoenix touching down in a few days. So far I've noticed a vast improvement minding the USB data transfer. I was just about upgrade the power supplies to the IR+txUSB when I thought I might be better served by consolidating into the Phoenix with its built in Sean Jacobs PS. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Phoenix, but I would bet the Gaia would give it a run for its money–for a lot less money. 

The internals show a pretty impressive build and Denafrips has done a marvelous job in providing value through their direct to consumer model. 

The only fundamental limitation is the lack of USB output, which for me is a deal breaker. If your DAC can accept I2S, I would think the Gaia would be a better choice factoring in cost. 

I am totally guessing by looking at the internals as well as what Denafrips has produced in general. It is just speculation on my part, but if you know what you're looking at, you can make some educated guesses looking at the components and PCB. Without hearing it, I could be wrong, of course. But, there's enough there to get excited about even while blocking out any online hype.  

Most of all I was careful to add "factoring in cost." The Gaia comes in at just about half the price of the Phoenix, and given the benefits of I2S, I would be shocked if it didn't provide better value, if it fits your DAC. 

Don't get me wrong, I–love–my Phoenix, and I can't use the Gaia since it has no USB. However, if it makes sense for your system, I think it's safe to say that it has a lot potential, especially at its price. 

• 1 month later...

I was going to write up some notes comparing the tx-USBUltra vs. Phoenix, but Jay just posted a fairly comprehensive article on his site:

https://audiobacon.net/2020/09/08/innuos-phoenix-usb-reclocker-review/

Though he preferred the Phoenix, he found the SOtM and Phoenix closer than I did and teased out more of the differences in flavor. I think this underscores again just how much the power supply plays into the sound. I was using an LPS1.2 with my tx-USBUltra SE with some wonderful results, but, the sound could be thin and diffuse where the Phoenix was fuller and more disciplined. Jay used a PH SR4 and I'm sure a very nice power cable–a much more fair comparison.

Irregardless of supply, as Jay mentioned, the Phoenix adds greater depth. The width also expanded but I had to listen for it. The increase in depth leapt out at me. The Sean Jacobs PS in the Phoenix also provides a great level of richness that I think would fit any system. I also noticed a greater level of detail with the Phoenix, whether owing to the OCXO, PS, or total design. Jay did not mention differences in detail retrieval and resolution even though he wasn't using a master clock with the tx-USBUltra. Again the SR4 may have evened things up in his tests. 

Both are truly impressive units, and I enjoyed the tx-USBUltra in my system. However, at least with the LPS1.2, the Phoenix+SJ PS clearly outclassed it. 

• 6 months later...

I had IsoRegen in my system for a while to good effect. I initially used it in conjunction with the Phoenix and noticed a smoother, denser sound with a seemingly larger stage. 

IsoRegen is a great little bang for the buck that can improve a good system. However, once your system reaches the upper levels of resolution and transparency the IR will eventually start holding it back. 

By the time I added the Phoenix the smoothness of IsoRegen was unnecessary and only masking low-level detail. What I took for a larger stage was really more diffuse and indistinct imaging. 

The Phoenix is on a different level and IsoRegen may only lower its performance by adding lower grade components into the chain. 

• 10 months later...

This thread hasn't seen a post in a while but I thought this may be the best place to ask this question. 

I've been using a Phoenix in my chain to great effect for a while now. However, some think that it's categorically better to address the USB at the outset rather than fix it later. 

So, I've been wondering if I should swap out my Phoenix and install either a JCAT XE or Pink Faun USB w/ Ultra OCXO. 

Has anyone had experience comparing the two paths?