IGNORED

Can Bad Recordings sound Good?

I don't think I'm confusing anything, but I do agree that a recordings inherent limitation on how good it can sound, depends on the quality of what's in the groove. If we upgrade where our systems sound is adding much less distortion and electronic artifacts to the recording, it is sometimes surprising how good a recording can sound. I don't think they ever go from downright awful to great, but sometimes from near  awful to quite listenable.Some phono cartridges have trouble reproducing the harmonics of certain instruments played together like a flute and guitar where both are playing sudden and loud. There are some recordings though that are so bad that I don't think they are ever capable of sounding good. All great equip. can do is reproduce what is there. 

Its more like the bad sounds are still there but they have a different character, the bad sounds don't sound nearly as bad, smoother and less nasty. More trivial you might say. No ear wince anymore. Gross cartridge mistracking noise instead of being harsh sort of sounds like a burst of tape hiss, which isn't nearly as objectionable, or at least no spikes coming at your ear. Tolerable.