IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, manueljenkin said:

I did further investigation on this topic earlier. Hqplayer lets you choose the bit depth it sends to the dac. Winyl sounds closer to hqplayer configured to have same bit depth as the music file. Which means winyl is not doing any unnecessary padding. I have actually found padding to reduce detail in my system, making it artificially soft. I can for sure confirm that padding actually reduces detail, in my system and not improve. Custom upsampling using HQplayer is a completely different story altogether, I have tried a few and have been able to see how they "change" the sound but on a pure performance level it was on par with winyl, and worse when additional functionality was being used. Also my system was not up to snuff to try the high precision improvements. There's not much way zero padding can bring in such an amount of difference as heard through the players. Also if all of them do the same thing they should all sound the same which they clearly don't.

I am ridiculously late to this party, but are you saying here that you think HQPlayer is zero padding rather than upsampling? There is a pretty big difference between those two, and the developer may take issue with that assertion.

No electron left behind.