IGNORED

I get duplicates from the iTunes store

On 4/30/2020 at 11:33 PM, GregWormald said:

I'd be keeping both. The cloud one will play anywhere, the home one will play if the internet is down.

If Cloud Music Library is on, then both will be in the library, and will be playable from anywhere. 

I don't know why the OP is getting two copies; just delete one of them. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

32 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

If Cloud Music Library is on, then both will be in the library, and will be playable from anywhere. 

I don't know why the OP is getting two copies; just delete one of them. 

Thanks Kirk, that is what I have been doing.  I spoke with Apple tech support and they said it was not a bug.  It happens on most but not all purchases.  Strange

Same.

That happened every time I purchased a tune during the one year I subscribed to Apple Music.  Sometimes the cloud icon for the dup file would appear as the file was downloading, and sometimes it took days to show up.  Regardless, after I cancelled the sub the duplicates never appeared again.  Until last week...

It happened again.  It looks much like it did then.  The differences are on the File tab.  One has copyright info and the Purchased field has my name and Apple ID.  The other has no copyright info and only my name is listed in Purchased.  I download both, keep the one with my Apple ID and the copyright info, and delete the other.  (I chose wisely because the copyright files stuck around after the Music sub was cancelled.)

It happened with just one of the two songs I bought last week, but I expect it to happen for the second file, too.  That file doesn't have copyright info or my Apple ID.  

While I was subscribed to Music the dups would appear for purchased movies, too!  It's a feature not a bug!  FWIW, I continue to use iTunes and have not upgraded to Catalina.

-Alan