IGNORED

HQPlayer Convolution Questions

Hi Guys, I have questions about how HQP works with convolution filters. @mitchco's Accurate Sound service created my filters and they work perfect in Roon and JRiver. Now when I use them in HQP I don't quite understand what's happening because they don't work the same way. 

In Roon and JRiver, I just add the filters, set the volume to max, and call it a day.

In HQP there is more going on that I just don't understand and it has an impact on the sound. I believe it's related to limiting and gain, but I'm at a loss. I'll explain it as best I can below.

I added the filters via HQP (see below). I don't understand what IR gain means and why it says -8.64216 dB.

Convolution.png

When playing music and the volume is set to 0 dBFS, I see the volume "knob" turns red and the Limited counter is incremented each time. I don't know what's really going on here and if this happens with and without convolution filters. 

hqp-limiting.png

When listening with the convolution filters, there can be a serious high frequency cut off. @Miska said this is related to the limiting listed in the HQP interface. I guess I don't understand why this only happens in HQP. 

I'm very confused and would love to understand it more so I can write an accurate article on what I'm doing and write a how-to article for others. 

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm looking through notes from @Miska and think I may understand the IR Gain and Gain Comp a bit better. 

The IR Gain is just an estimator of the boosting done by filters. If I have this correct, then there is a negative gain / boost by my filters that decreases the volume by -8.64216 dB. Is this correct?

But, I also have an email from Jussi that says the IR Gain shown is an increase / boost (even though there is a negative in front of the number).

I guess I'm lost. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png