IGNORED

HQPlayer Convolution Questions

@MiskaI am currently with @mitchco on DSP filters that are input to HQP and have two questions on convolution settings, one of which was addressed above but still not clear to me.

On page 25 of the HQP manual (Version 3.14.0) which discusses the Convolution panel settings, it states:

"When positive gain compensation is chosen, it is applied as negative gain when convolution is disabled from the main screen. This makes it easier to compare impact of the particular convolution setup."

Does that imply that the "Gain comp" does not do anything when convolution is enabled? In other words, the "gain" is not impacted from the "Gain comp" setting while convolution is enabled?

Sidenote: convolution can be enabled/disabled from either the "main screen" and the "convolution screen". Correct?

Secondly, the manual states:

"When provided impulse response is lower sampling rate than source material, it's high frequency response can be expanded to cover the new bandwidth by selecting “Expand HF” setting."

The impulse responses that I have received are 48kHz. As such, I should check the "Expand HF" box given that a lot of my source material is at 96k, 192k, etc. even though a lot is still 44.1k (CD quality).

Lastly, for people considering DSP but need some assistance (i.e. don't want to climb the steep learning curve), hire @mitchco today!!! It has been a great experience so far and well worth the expense which is not peanuts but less than what some people spend on cables, DACs, etc. And, it will most likely have a positive impact on your system much more than cables, DACs, etc. ever will.