IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

On 4/11/2020 at 10:55 PM, McNulty said:

I agree if you read between the lines it appears that they didn’t include a direct comparison with the Extreme on purpose. Based on the price difference between the Grimm and the Extreme, a comparison of the MU1 with the Innuos Statement seems fairer.

Reviewing is a commercial business, and so difficult to place direct comparison when one has revenue tied to it especially in these times. But I can say that for long listening sessions the Grimm will be more favourable.  

10 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

It seems to me the MU1 is directed at audiophiles who have medium range/older non-USB DACs that might "strain" to upsample.

The price point of €9800 though would seem to to contradict this.

I think anyone who could afford that level of server would have the means to explore top-notch DACs

The Grimm can output USB if so desired, and you can defeat the up or down sampling on it to provide the native signal.

I have a DAC with a USB input that upsamples everything to double DSD, but having trialled the Grimm 176.4 or 192 sampling via AES/EBU it will outshine the USB output due to it's FPGA card. 

Grimm were so entrenched in DSD earlier through their converters, that when they found out that 176.4 works better and required more stringent calculations to make it sound great, they pursued PCM.

7 hours ago, Nenon said:

I am assuming you meant more favourable than the Taiko Extreme for long listening sessions? Can you please share your experience that led you to that conclusion? Have you had both in your system? Or maybe you've heard an A/B comparison somewhere? What DAC was used and what did the rest of the system look like? Thank you. 

This was the feedback drawn by others when both units were in the same system, as I had to rely on reviews to make a choice which unit to pursue. 

Unfortunately I am left in a position not to be able to disclose this source, and it may seem vague or shrill to others in making such comments. But I leave that for users to audition and make up their minds.     

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, FredM said:

Nice Grimm Audio company overview by Alpha Audio. In this extended interview (1h50!) various topics are covered, like company history, background of Eelco Grimm and Guido Tent (both lecturers), what’s drives them, design philosophy, network company, new products, ..

On the MU1 the power supply, clock circuitry, jitter treatment, importance of up scaling via the FPGA board and the in-house software development are mentioned. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=6YPznUzSRB0&feature=emb_logo

The interview is in English (after ~30 seconds), for quick access you can use the timestamps in the description on Youtube.

707EA97E-641D-4F19-A6EB-1CF8B8E7D179.jpeg

A really great video and so much of a learning curve as they cover so many topics. 

• 3 months later...