IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I picked the Accuphase pre using the Mu1-->Tambaqui combination. The Mu2-->Soulnote P-3 did not sound good at all.  It sounded rolled off and there was very poor imaging/localization. The Mu2-->Aesthetix Metis was excellent, significantly better than the Mu2 alone. 

My Tara Lab Cabling and Gryphon Essence do not emphasize higher treble energy. The Tambaqui does come off a bit brighter. When the Mu2 is in a setting with other "darker" components, it didn't perform as well. If the components have good imaging, and some treble extension, I found the Mu2 complimentary in a good way. 

All pre's gave a larger 2D soundstage compared to the Mu2 alone. The Mu did have good imaging depth on its own. 

Hope this helps, and look forward to other folks data points in their systems.

10 minutes ago, PYP said:

Good advice, which I am taking.  Given my fondness for Mola Mola gear, the Makua preamp would be an appropriate demo.  So, will try my current setup (MU1 + Tambaqui) with the Makua and then the MU2, with and without the Makua.  

Will be a few weeks before I get the demo pieces.  Very much looking forward to learning what a transparent preamp adds (used a tubed preamp ages ago) and what the MU2 sounds like in comparison to the Tambaqui.  The demo provides  me with an expectation-free environment.  Just listen to music and choose the gear that provides the greatest engagement with the music.  

My audio education continues...

I think that comment makes sense. I have read that the Makua is a bit on the cool side. I think it will complement the Mu2 well. Look forward to hearing your results!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Fourth month of playing my music through the MU2 and still enjoying every minute with it. You know it does something really good when you rediscover your library (which you know so well) and just make so much more sense out of it. Was just listening to the Kyteman orchestra (a Dutch band) recorded with all vintage equipment. On most of my past listening sessions I liked it, but so much was happening that sometines I just lost it somewhere. With the MU2 it feels like I'm in the recording. Can hear the large choir members breathing between the parts, can see the venue and where everyone is and just get it so much better altogether.  I think this is what our hobby is all about. Thanks Grimm team, for giving me some much more pleasure enjoying my music!

Hi Ronnie, can you remind us of your system? Thanks

4 minutes ago, Ronnie112 said:

Please look at my profile for a full overview. Recently added a Purtian DC blocker/filter, only for the amp. And iRAP decoupling platforms and wonderwood underboards. Will update my profile accordingly soon.

Got it. Interesting set up!

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, janN said:

Today I received the MU2 replacing my MMT/MU1 combination.

Old Roon database and music is installed and I did already some listening through headphones ( Focal Utopia).

First impressions are good.

There is difference between the MU2 and MMT/MU1.

I don't know or this is caused by the headphone output of the MU2 which I think it is "better" than headphone output of the MMT.

Maybe because of the analogue pre-amp of the MU2

Tomorrow I'll play through my amp and speakers. 

Looking forward to your listening impressions!

9 minutes ago, Low325 said:

No0o0o0o0 don’t convince me to acquire one!  Timing is not good! 😂 

I can tell you, with certainty, the MU2 is better than running the MMT directly into an amp. (I guess at least my amp).

On the other hand, the MMT sounds pretty great with a preamp in the chain. 

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know the technology very well. It sounds nothing like what the mixing engineer hears in the studio, unless the plugin is used during mixing. 

Im all for people using this, but to claim 

Is 100% preposterous. 

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know the technology very well. It sounds nothing like what the mixing engineer hears in the studio, unless the plugin is used during mixing. 

Im all for people using this, but to claim 

Is 100% preposterous. 

Is there value in responses like this? As a parent, I try to avoid reactions like this. Aangen is known for his humorous, individualistic style. I disagree with public dismissals like this. Even if you own this site.

17 minutes ago, aangen said:

LOL! You said that to be funny I hope.
I have a Gryphon Commander Preamp, Gryphon Apex Amp, Gryphon Ethos Transport DAC, Vivid G1 Spirit speakers. Jay is catching up slowly. But his attention span is unmeasurably short.  You had to be joking.

I'm extremely serious. Audio equipment is to be judged by size, price tag, weight, and extreme sound effects. Musical enjoyment should be low down on the list of considerations. 

4 minutes ago, aangen said:

Well to start with, a plugin being required when the recording was made is absolutely without basis. This demonstrates you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not going to try to convince you, there is nothing to gain from that. I know better.

But your behavior in this manner brings me back to USENET battles from the mid 90's. I am embarrassed for you.
Respectfully.  

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

I'm interested in bringing an MU2 into my system to find out how it performs.  Would directly feed into my Spectral equipment.  Today, the MU1 feeding my dCS stack is great.  I'll be surprised if the MU2's DAC will come close to what I'm hearing today.  But being an audiophile comes with surprises.  That's our lot in this life.

Nice system. Love Spectral.

On 3/23/2024 at 11:10 PM, aangen said:

Sorry about that Terry! 
PYP:

Some of the time, some of the time not. I am very impressed with the unmodified sound of the MU2. I think a few of my DACs are going to rest for a while.

Amplifier issues

In a normal setup, it would take seconds to hook the MU2 to the amp. The MU2 hovers above and just behind the amp. But I share my audio room with a Rabbit. And her favorite thing to chew on is cables, any cables. I built a fence, she got inside and ate cables. I fortified. She was sitting back there munching on cables. The fence system I have now she hasn’t got through. So the back of the amp has a safety system making it a half hour project to get access. It is so much easier to just sit here and bathe in Roon Radio.

For those who might suggest removal of the rabbit, I will say I like Bunnies equally to fine audio.

Deleted

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mike123 said:

I haven’t tried it yet.. I have a tube amp which probably adds color. 

In my system, the soundstage was larger and the bass dynamics and control were better with a preamp in the chain. Not that the Mu2 was not good on its own. Relating to the earlier post by @Yivez, an MMT in the chain definitely adds more high frequency energy, compared to the more neutral Mu2.

I feel bass dynamics are quite variable, and component specific, when trying to run without a dedicated pre. @Yivez, what is the rest of your system?