IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

there may be a bit of a time difference working against you for support!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

• 3 months later...

try NO fuse? Most of my DIY stuff does without fuses. In the EU, plugs do not have fuses, so I wonder if you are just observing the normal situation without a (usually crappy) standard fuse making things worse.

I have one SR Orange in my DAC, only to find out it needs two, when I get around to it I plan to replace both with a length of UP-OCC AWG14...I know, do not try this at home, it'll void warranty and proceed at your own risk!

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

10 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

But nothing in this area is simple. I tried a solid copper rod (same diameter and length as the fuse) and this won on detail, but lost on full-bodied naturalness. Much better was a silver wire soldered across the fuse holder, which won on both parameters. Over the years, I've gained a pretty good idea how much gain a fuse bypass can give and, without having directly compared, I would guess that an SR Orange would possibly sound better than a bypass, and an SR Purple would probably sound better than bypass. I.e. that the filtering performance of today's top fuses may be outweighing the deliberately feeble nature of the fuse wire. Which why for the MU1, I didn't bother bypassing the fuse in the UK mains plug and I've been pretty impressed so far.

Ever listen to a single solder joint? replacing the fuse with two additional solder joints is not what I plan to do, I plan to put the UP-OCC across the circuit board to bypass the fuse contacts.

• 3 months later...

Did you try to reseat the memory modules? I've seen weird behaviour in my server and found that one module was not properly seated.

12 minutes ago, pvanosta said:

I have not dared opening the Grimm, to avoid any warranty issues...

understandable, that and the mysticysm of a  'never opened' box also fades away... ;-)

Probably best wait for a response from Grimm, (as much as that reseating memory modules should not void any warranty unless you do so without powering the unit down)

for , what is it ...10k?, it'd better NOT be an i3. I almost wish I had not seen the inside prior to listening to it.

Or is that too harsh? I'll try my best to audition it with an open mind,

5 minutes ago, FredM said:

Hi, the FPGA board seems to be the magic ingredient (also a ‘processor’, but other approach). Have fun listening 😃

My Dac has one, upgrading CPU's somehow makes me think that power is king and the more cores the merrier.

2 minutes ago, PYP said:

Will be interested in your impressions.  Needless to say, a demo of a unit that has lots of hours on it is best.  And the AES/EBU cable makes a difference.  

@FredM I see that you are now famous and that your review from this thread is on the Grimm website.  Can I have your autograph?  😉

I'm more than motivated to listen to it, I came from a dual core NUC runing Linux with plenty of frills....(at some point in a faint distance, but in reality it was like 3 years ago) 

if you cannot get rid of an album you need it ;-)

Shipping and handlin can be rough enough to dislodge anything inside a device, I have witnessed cargadoors unload a pretty expensive and well packed SET amp that was dropped from the cargo hatch of a 747 to the tarmac...it did not survive...

sometimes a RAM bank gets loose, or a cable, shipping direct to consumer has its perks and quirks.

• 2 months later...

there are no real BIOS settings for SSD discs IMO, but Grimm should be able to answer all your questions

• 10 months later...

back in the day that was a very nice speaker making me build something with a Podszus-Görlich driver....

Not very efficient so it needs a lot of power but when set up in a good way it can sound very musical indeed!