IGNORED

CORE AUDIO: Music server upgrade from "Barebone Entry" to DAIDO REFERENCE I9 Series

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

@PhilG - did you replace the motherboard clocks yourself, or did you send the motherboard to Core Audio? 

No, of course not. It's way beyond my soldering skills. I can probably manage for things that fall within the ordinary scope of a DIYer but here we're dealing with something particularly delicate to do (because of the structure of the motherboard's PCBs) and the risk of failure and therefore destruction of the motherboard is not negligible. Given the price of these motherboards I am not ready to take it.

Anyway the work is not limited to just the motherboard.  Reclocking it requires precise settings on the Masterclock, tests, etc.

This is Core Audio's affair, it's their competence, that's why I left this to them, I had all interest in letting them do it.

Music server (single PC): CORE AUDIO DAIDO Reference i9 Series (ASUS Maximus XI Gene mATX motherboard, i9 9900T cpu, CORE AUDIO BiClock MasterClock :24MHz & 25MHz) CORE AUDIO Linear ATX PSU / 3 transformers (300 Va) in FC-10 (modified) case, CORE AUDIO ULN PSU for MasterClock , G-Skill 2x8GB DDR4 RAM / APACER 2x4GB ECC RAM (used as non ECC), SAMSUNG 870 Evo Plus M2 nvme SSD) , JCAT FEMTO USB Card , JCAT Reference USB Cable, Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 (for USB card),  2 external Toshiba 3To 2.5" HDDs (music files),

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard (Total Commander as shell), JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 8.5, BubbleUPnP, MinotityClean

Audio equipment: Singxer SU-1 (heavily modified), PS Audio Direcstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp , ROGUE AUDIO M-180 (2 Monoblocs) Amp, 

JMR Offrande Supreme v2 loudspeakers, Digital cables: Wireworld silver Starlight 7 HDMI, Paul Pang AES,  IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, miscellaneous DIY ... 

Power cables: Triode Wire Labs, miscellaneous DIY ... 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:00 AM, wittao said:

Nenon, thanks for your question!

Our JCAT card modification (only just the clock part) is in progress and of course agreed with Marcin (thanks again to him). I think the necessary time in this situation (corona) is about 1 month, we must wait for some important clock parts. If we will be ready i will post it asap. The JCAT card (USB and Ethernet Ultra Femto too) alone without any modification was the first card with what we worked with full satisfaction. We tried earlier PP (it is one of my favorite sounding and PangKaiYu is a one man army genius i think, but we have had a lot of reliability issue with the cards, so we dropped this brand), noname, SOtM (that's good). Some years ago we tried a lot of type, lot of brands, lot of chipsets and try in our music servers. We wanted hard to find what is the most important part in the USB cards. Of course the chipset is ok but the signal clock generators? Number of ports? PSU? Type of the PCB?

That was our experience: it is a package. The most important thing is a thoughtful, stable base. Thereafter we can find the good options to make a SQ better and modify them: PSU and clock control.

Our focus point was in the development phase (not for only just the USB cards and RJ45 cards, but for the whole music server) make a low noise PSU for all parts and real good reference clock generator (masterclock). We knew the change in SQ was going to be big, but not that big. Absolutely hearable changes, A-B-A tests wasn't necessary. 

We continued the development to make more improvement. Just an example: me measured the motherboard's built in clock, the phase noise was -55dB - -60dB@10Hz. The Crystec's specification (24 MHz Nr.597 TCXO for 10Hz) is -90dB! It is a very huge difference. We measured again Crystec's same clock but now built in the PCB, it was between -75-80dB@10Hz (it looks very good that the environment of the clock on the board and the card's structure is very important). Our own developed ultra femto TCXO has -105dB@10Hz built in the PCB "ALONE" without our MCMC (mono clock masterclock for one frequency) or BCMC (biclock masterclock for two frequencies) PLL with 10MHz reference signal.

(maybe it will be a question what kind of measure equipment we are using for a phase noise and jitter measurement: Rhode&Schwarz FSWP).

The other side is the PSU. There is a lot of type on the market but we must develop an own PSU what fits well to ATX standard voltages, plugs and have a very good noise parameters ( 14 - 80 uV on a different 3.3V to 12V voltages i think not too bad).

Otherwise after these results we wanted to move forward and connect our other source equipments to this solution. The question was: will it be better? In my opinion yes. It is important that our source equipments are running on the same clock signal with ultra low noise PSUs. That is why our Reference Series works together along the same line ( music server + USB/SPDIF converter + DAC )

Example1: Normal connection, without any signal clock route (of course inside the equipments are 10 MHz OCXO masterclock signals between the parts but not between the equipments):

1187316723_Kpernyfot2020-03-22-8_42_48.thumb.png.6487bf80e6ecf78705cddbd502ccd0bf.png

Example2: 

The full reclocked version: the 10 MHz reference signal (-127dB@10Hz) comes from the KARUNA Reference and the music server's built in reference signal switched OFF and of course our dac get a better 24.576 signal too.

1912995752_Kpernyfot2020-03-22-8_42_12.thumb.png.71d2685931074d07bff11ae3772efef0.png

Your other question was:  inside the clock signal's cabeling is a problem or not. Not :) There are a lot of industry standard to transfer clock signals without any problem between equipments and inside the equipments. Of course 5-10-25m distance is a hard question but it is an extreme situation in a home audio industry. 

Thank you for your open mind :) I hope i answered well your question.

It's very informative and thoughtful, Viktor.  Above all, you've lifted a corner of the veil on what should be of great  interest for JCAT card users (we know there are many of them on this forum) and more generally all those who are looking for that last bit of extra for SQ. 

Good news and small pleasures are becoming quite rare these days, so let's not deny ourselves our pleasure! 

As for me, I will wait patiently (not so easy) until that @#$%^&*corona has calmed down and activity has returned to normal, to find out more, especially about the results of the listening tests.
When one knows moreover that a JCAT dedicated PSU for FEMTO USB and NET cards should be released soon, as announced by Marcin, one can say that everything is being done so that users may be in paradise. :-)

Music server (single PC): CORE AUDIO DAIDO Reference i9 Series (ASUS Maximus XI Gene mATX motherboard, i9 9900T cpu, CORE AUDIO BiClock MasterClock :24MHz & 25MHz) CORE AUDIO Linear ATX PSU / 3 transformers (300 Va) in FC-10 (modified) case, CORE AUDIO ULN PSU for MasterClock , G-Skill 2x8GB DDR4 RAM / APACER 2x4GB ECC RAM (used as non ECC), SAMSUNG 870 Evo Plus M2 nvme SSD) , JCAT FEMTO USB Card , JCAT Reference USB Cable, Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 (for USB card),  2 external Toshiba 3To 2.5" HDDs (music files),

Software: Windows Server 2019 Standard (Total Commander as shell), JPLAY 7 Femto, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 8.5, BubbleUPnP, MinotityClean

Audio equipment: Singxer SU-1 (heavily modified), PS Audio Direcstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp , ROGUE AUDIO M-180 (2 Monoblocs) Amp, 

JMR Offrande Supreme v2 loudspeakers, Digital cables: Wireworld silver Starlight 7 HDMI, Paul Pang AES,  IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, miscellaneous DIY ... 

Power cables: Triode Wire Labs, miscellaneous DIY ...