IGNORED

'FeralA' decoder -- free-to-use

Hi,

I did not follow the whole thread and do not know how many people have noticed what I have noticed on the demo tracks provided as well as on all decodings I ran myself on various music. I saw at least some have while skimming through the thread, though.

Besides the general core function (downward expansion) which works well, there is a very strong overall EQ curve on the resulting output data which in almost all cases spoiled the tonal balance for me big time. Tubby lower mids and harsh treble.

I have not evaluated the various EQ command-line switches in my trials, I just the defaults.

Being an accomplished engineer I tried to find out what going on and this is what I found on basically all examples I've tried (about 20 so far) and with the two decoder versions I've tested myself (V2.2.3E and V2.2.4E):

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/dysondecoder-fr-mag-phase-png.122626/

A dip/peak valley (blue curve) spanning more than 12dB(!) in the range from 50Hz to 20kHz (there might be small differences between versions but you'll get the picture). Ignore the absolute levels, just look at the span.

Note those kinks at exactly 3kHz and 9kHz and the irregularity at ~1.5kHz  which don't have corresponding wiggles in the phase (red) which means this overall EQ is not fully minimum phase (not a big deal, but still an interesting detail).

I've had an encounter with Mr.Dyson before and therefore will not engage again, everything has been said.

I just wanted to share that bit of information, backed up with data (which was created properly and competently) which is IMHO elementary to understand why the decoder sounds the way it sounds, at least this is the dominating factor.

I've also created a compensating EQ that restores the original tonal balance which I could share if anyone is interested (or just follow the link and find it there).

Once this is applied, it's much easier to hear (and judge) the dynamic processing that takes place, being the only variable left (a key requirement for fair comparisons in any field of engineering/science). One can still apply any needed (or preferred) EQ after (or before) decoding to get the best results.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, John Dyson said:

2) Source code.

It would be a pity if this valuable project were lost.

My FR measurement is correct and fully applicable to the decoder's function and it's easily proven. The decoder does nothing at high signal levels (say, at least down to -10dB), this has been pointed out many time by the designer. When the log sweep, MLS noise or other content used to obtain the transfer function is playing above the "action threshold" it is fully resembling any static EQ applied. I've used all three methods and the results were always identical. Only when the content falls below the action threshold (actually there's a multitude of threshholds because of the multi-band and multi-layer nature), the additional(!) dynamic EQ effects Mr.Dyson explained are popping up and spoil the accuracy of the FR.

The proof that the FR is correct: when I precisily de-embedded that FR so I could successfully subtract the original and processed file, a Null was obtained down at -40dB thereabouts... which exactly is what's expected. The difference showed what the encoder actually does in great detail at those levels and below (see ASR thread, including a listening example, I won't repeat everything here). Had I erred on the total FR the subtraction would have completely failed on the large signal sections, no way to get a 40dB Null (content is the same down to 1% of full-scale level).

It all started because in listening trials I immediately noticed the skewed tonal balance on all the test snippets provided which hugely dominated all the subtle dynamic detail changes. Same when trying to decode my own source tracks. Proper analysis then showed why. And I've not been the first one to find this and point it out.

So that overall static EQ is real, there cannot be a single microsecond of doubt about that. I'm not saying that no EQ whatsoever should be placed to obtain the best results (which are strongly subjective anway), what I'm saying is that this gross tonal change of more than +-6dB variation accross the audio band impressed on each and every decoding is 100% sure *not* what the original master tape (without any DolbyA compression to pimp the CD versions) sounded like.

We can only speculate about Mr.Dysons rationale for this EQ, as he never explained why so much of static EQ is deemed appropriate to "restore" the original, Even comparision with vinyl would not warrant that much of change, plus viny masters also processed to unknown amounts, both static (EQ) and dynamic stuff (the last in chain being the cutting head vertical limiter).

5 hours ago, John Dyson said:

I mentioned this because a lot of people DO want a stronger midrange -- I just cannot do it without post-decoding EQ.

I think a "--no-global-eq" switch would be highly appreciated by most anyone here, the output rendered flat for higher "pass-through" input levels. As applying EQ during playback or after rendering is so trivial for users these days, let them decide if and how much global EQ they want. Also, it is impossible to judge if a decoding sound better than the original because of that tonal skewing it never does, by first principles. The fine grain dynamic stuff is completely buried in the gross EQ change, perception-wise.

I'm working on a precision convolution kernel to undo the EQ (with all its effects, notably those non-minimum kinks) but as you know, inversion of a transfer function is very tricky when the only data is empirical... therefore, if you see a way to remove the EQ (even to first order only, with a simple minphase post-correction with some IIRs) please do so.

55 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Without --fw=classical, the decoding is Mid/2*Side,  while with --fw=classical, the decoding is Mid/Side.

I've out found out that --wof=, --stw=, --fw= have to placed after any --fa option, otherwise the setting is overriden by --fa.

I was not aware that the processing of the cmd params is strictly sequential.

Now it works as expected/described.

The original master is from 1952, no DolbyA ;-)

On the CD releases, they may or may not have used DolbyA to pimp it, whatever n-th generation copy of the master they had as source. The source could as well have been a professional vinyl rip with all the bells and whistles.

What we know:

- John's raw version has been resampled to 48kHz (why?)

- decoded version(s) (which would have been 88.2kHz) have been resampled as well to 48kHz (why?)

- decoded version(s) have the JD house EQ as ususal, making un-skewed comparisons very hard (IHMO)

To check out which CD version John used (unless he's telling us) would be to use DeltaWave to check against available CD versions. DW takes care of the resampling back to 44.1, and any larger differences in the mastering would quickly pop up (setting filters at 20kHz to keep the resampling stuff out of the picture would certainly be needed).

1 minute ago, John Dyson said:

The items above might take several hours to review and fix.   Therefore, the release isn't planned for +5Hrs, but instead +17Hrs.

Take your time, John.

I think many of us would be perfectly happy with weekly updates. This gives you the headroom to check things out, let impressions settle (and collect impressions from others), find early bugs sneaking in and of course start working on side topics like the --no-global-eg switch ;-) Plus the time to update the docs. Take a break when needed.

15 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

[...]yesterday I tried to get some sense out of "original" ABBA albums. Well, they are terrible.[...]

Assuming you're an audiophile (in the non-derogative meaning of the term), you're first one I've heard of who actually owns and listens to stuff like ABBA, haha!

ABBA is great to teach people about excellent song-writing and clever arrangement of pop songs for the masses, but listening to this for recreational purposes on a HiFi rig? Of course everybody is entitled to like what they like...

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

* with a spec or a schematic, even just an accurate circuit diagram without parts values, this project would result in functioning software in about 2 months.

https://audio-circuit.dk/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/d-other/Dolby-361-sm.pdf

Unreadable part values, though. But good general information.

EDIT: A way better readable schematic is located close to the end of the manual.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Klaus, not sure if you've tried it, but this is what I do to de-EQ John's files. I simply use DeltaWave to match the RAW and Decoded file, and use non-linear level EQ correction only (uncheck phase). The result is to undo the large-level EQ in processed files. You can then play or export the corrected files.

Hi Paul,

I thought about it but haven't tried. I've used my own de-embedding, which, as you might know, suffers in that it applies the correcting IR to the original, rather than than applying 1/IR to the decoding. But, it compensates 100% all mag and phase errors to full precision (good enough to do a "simple load" only in DW and get the best null possible).

The overall EQ is still present but now it's the same for both files. And then I would apply a simple min-phase correction, a curve fit EQ filter parameter set obtained from REW and transformed to an IR in RePhase. For quick checks, I only apply the latter... which leaves 1dB of wiggle room in the difference and more importantly, does not correct those linear phase level jumps at 3kHz an 9kHz.

With level EQ only applied by DW, that would mean applying a linear-phase correction(?), which isn't fully correct. Most of John's EQ is minimum phase, except for those mentioned step changes. Probably not a big deal as the overall curvature is low-Q, reducing chances of nasty pre-ringing.

59 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Have you listened to the latest demos?   There isn't much difference that I'd call "EQ".   There never was any intentional EQ

Not yet, John, but will do (and analyzed them, or the new binary directly).

At the moment there IS difference that is plain EQ, as explained, anything more than +-0.1dB is counterproductive for the task. It doesn't matter if the EQ was introduced intentionally or by accident.

We do not have general access to pre-encoded masters (other than the occasional old vinyl edition). We only have CD's where DolbyA units (sometimes even modifed ones) have been intentionally mis-used artistically to "improve" the final sound. Most certainly there was additional EQ and sum compressors etc applied before the master for a CD was send out. All of this is a great unknown.

And therefore undoing the specific part of low-level dynamic compression of the DolbyA is obviously close to impossible with a one-size-fits-all approach. Exactly as you say, way too many unknowns. For example, you cannot know the pre-/de-emphasis required to undo a potential final mastering EQ and hence the levels for DolbyA de-embedding will be off anyway even if the general level match were close otherwise.

FWIW, I happened to find the Simon&Garfunkel LP in my wife's collection and sorry, no way your decoded version (from two weeks back or whatever) is any close tonally to that vinyl.

Therefore, best leave the post EQ alone. That can be applied seperately if needed (which again is mostly personal preference).

V2.2.6C, Anne Murray "Danny's Song" (a critical piece as the levels are quite low, not to many sources playing at once, and the general quality is excellent), compare RAW vs. DEC-V2.2.6C vs. DEC-2.2.6C de-EQ'd with DeltaWave.

RAW vs DEC-V2.2.6C : EQ dominates (though the dynamic effects can be heard if one tries to ignore the EQ mentally as much as possible). It is a bit better balanced than earlier versions, less 300Hz honk and less 7kHz screech. But still completely unbearable. Again, I don't believe the original (whatever that was) sounded that way.

RAW vs DEC-V2.2.6C de-EQ'd : Failed for me, the decoder turned the steelstring guitar into a nylon-string, very muffled. Plate reverb on vocals... the same, killed decay and killed HF. Once levels get louder when the whole band starts playing, things get better as the expander is working less.

Comparison of large-signal frequency responses for V2.2.4E vs 2.2.6C:

FR-V2.2.4E-vs-V2.2_6C.thumb.png.01f4467de5e6d46e42a955f14826e4dc.png

It's gotten better with 2.2.6C in relative terms. In absolute terms, still completely off.

And no attempt seen to fix those strange jumps at 3kHz and 9kHz, where I'm still waiting for an explanation from John (also for the less severe roughness around 1.3kHz). Those jumps are linear phase and by this must produce pre-ringing when hit by a transient.

And, surprise, surprise, that is exactly what is seen in the large-signal impulse response:1736878566_3kHz9Khz-preringing.gif.39ebbb3d3a679968db86617ddb48d97e.gif

The snippet highlighted is 30samples long and a part of the pre-ringing building up before the main pulse (it also produces post-ringing but that is audibly much more benign), at 88.2kHz sample rate that equates to 3kHz. The 9kHz overlay can readily be seen thanks to the integer ratio of the frequencies.

It is not clear if that pre-ringing is any audible, though. The effect is almost impossible to be judged in isolation with so much else going on, to get there a more thorough investigation and analysis would be needed.

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

The decoder doesn't care at all about the signal output level because the decoder output  is all FP

Yes, that's one of really good things about it. I've hit the decoder with +40dBFS Diracs (to keep it from expanding) etc with no apparent issues.

SoX is limited as it's 32bit integer internally so while it can take FP input and output it still clips internally when "overdriven".