IGNORED

NAS POLL - How much NAS do you need in times of streaming???

!!! THIS IS A NAS POLL !!!! Thanx in advance for your participation ! It's public - Pls pm me, if that's a problem!  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My needs are driven by choosing to acquire recordings in multichannel and in DSD or DXD, if possible, and those demand much more space than 16/44.1 releases.  For example, the latter are typically less than 1Gb while the DSD64 mch are in the 2-3Gb range but some, in some higher resolutions, need more space.  The biggest album/work I have is a Mahler 3 in DSD256 in 6channels that is nearly 40Gb!!

It is a good thing that storage space is relatively cheap.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

58 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Short calculation: 
Under the assumption of 100 minutes music for the 3rd, 1 minute of Mahler 3 in DSD256/6channel equals the same performance in PCM FLAC  as complete disk in 16/44, in turn that's approx. 100 times the volume of CD quality. Sounds like a real trigger to me 😉 

It is what it is but that is the biggest one.

59 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

And I can understand clearly why streaming may have some limitations with this use case !!

If you mean Internet streaming services, sure, but plain vanilla 5.1 24/96 is quite doable.  I rely on downloads mostly and have no issues over my LAN.

1 hour ago, DuckToller said:

Are you playing them native with 3x DSD26 capable DACs??

Nope.  Using 8-channel DACs.

Are there special demands for the data transmission if you play these files via network?  Is there a risk of data congestion, and where specifically?

My network backbone is 10G but I have not upgraded all the components on it.  Consequently, I am working with a 1G network and it has not been a limitation.

I'd guess playing over WiFi won't cut it

I have not tried WiFi in a long time.

39 minutes ago, Allan F said:

At present, all playback is upsampled to DSD512 via HQPlayer.

But that has no impact on storage.

14 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Excellent poll, a good followup poll might be to stratify "how much NAS storage do you have for your primary music source",

wouldn't surprise me if some have NAS's backing up their primary NAS

Good point.  By next week, my two big NAS drives will be in my two homes.  Each will serve its own local players via LAN.  Each will also be a back-up for the other.  (I keep a 3rd local back-up off-line.)

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 3 months later...