IGNORED

When do measurements correlate with subjective impressions

4est

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Ever been to a concert with an electric guitarist who moves about the stage with microphone? If you sit close up, the sound appears to come directly from the mouth and guitar. Yet the guitar amp and mic amp remain in a fixed position on stage. Soundstage is truly an illusion!

Likewise, has anyone ever sat above a dozen violins on the balcony of an indoor concerto? No electronics, that is, no speakers etc. Just percussion, horns, stringed instruments and pure vocals. Or an Opera where the singer turns and faces another direction? 

Has anyone ever heard a man made system that could reproduce the reality of that kinda soundstage? The "all that exists here now" or "is" in the moment? Has any technology "achieved" or "surpassed" that kinda standard?

Are we living in the Matrix? 🤣

In all seriousness, doesn't the reference or standard bearer become the very source in which everything else is measured? If so, then very observer/listener themselves may become subject to distortion or not perfectly "reflecting" back the source. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

Sony 65 inch OLED A8G, Sony 4k Blue Ray X700

Parasound Halo A31 Amplifier

Tekton Ulfberht Speakers w/ Be high frequency upgrade [4 ohms ea.]
Two Tekton Active [300 watts rms] 4-10 Subwoofers

5 hours ago, kumakuma said:

The idea that this mechanism relies on the brain evaluating the sound pressure to determine whether or not it is from a realistic source is preposterous.

Hi kumakuma, 

Question, hasn't it been a rather recent advancement in simple robotics to even take the baby steps of a human? I mean what we do [walk] without even thinking about requires massive processing from computers. Just commenting non competitively on the subject that the human body is a wonder. I mean I am not aware that there are enough computers networked or otherwise to equal one human mind nonetheless the entire audience enjoying the concert. Someone correct me if wrong? 

When I think about sitting down and listening to a real opera etc I cannot fathom the inner workings of mind and body nonetheless the stimulation that results from such source. That's one of the things that is fascinating to me. When something so beautiful as a melody draws a response from us then I have to acknowledge there is indeed a sense of "objectivity". LIkewise, when I think about the brain evaluating the sound in reality here and now when an angry drunk father shouts across the room or hearing one from a media track there is a response in the body that occurs in one instance and not another. Why? Once a bird even a human child learns the familiar voice outside the womb aren't tones etc interpreted or may they be mimicked in such a realistic way to substitute the reality for virtual reality? I think all this ties together because we can become so absorbed in artificial sources or environments that we actually lose touch with reality. Makes me wonder whether technologically we are still in an infant stage, that is, if measured by baby steps. 

I'll stop there, and hope you don't mind me sharing this as what you stated captivates. Am I mistaking your response? 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

2 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

My post was simply a rebuttal of Frank's claim but, on a note related to your post, I just started to listen to Bill Bryson's The Body while working out and I'm astounded by the complexity of the human body.

I too went through a time in my studies when I marveled. I'm sure others at the "sound" of Bryson's voice may respond with astonishment or other emotions especially if Bill sounds too much like a drunk father shouting........

j/king, 

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

9 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'm only 3% of the way into the book so perhaps the whiskey hasn't reached his brain yet...

Speaking of the brain, no pun intended. Kinda fascinating when taking into account that the human mind is capable of "speech" without a larynx or mouth. Happy listening to that voice in your head during story time 🤣 I'd rather a controlled "phantom" voice in my head being guided by words in print than uncontrolled schizophrenia. 

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

LOL. Just an hour ago I watched the series finale of the trippy show Mr. Robot. Others who saw it will recognize what you say is oddly on the nose. :o

G'morning Superdad,

Haven't seen the show! I'll have to check it out. 

Speaking of noses, I am curious why we do not see our noses in our view while looking straight ahead with our eyes? Just wondering what the mind actually filters out or emphasizes when we first sit down and listen to music. Do we have to acclimate to the musical subject matter or deliberately focus on something in particular? I mean, I've listened to a song thousands of times in my youth but it wasn't until later until I "heard" the lyrics and the song turned awful. I remember the first time rap music came into focus in my life as I was an enthusiast back when. Then looking in the rear view mirror one day I could see the car seat in the back and my daughter whose head was bobbing to the beats as the rap artists was calling women hos and bitchs as he boasted about pimping and his cash, house, and cars.  No instrumentation could make up for the lyrics. Overall, the source material sounded terrible to me and that day my system lost its luster. 

Anyhoot, I get the feeling that a lot of people think my posts are off topic due to lack of response. 

Enjoy Superdad, 

William

SMSL M400 DAC
Bluesound Node 2i