IGNORED

Sonore Optical Module

May I be so free to ask a question?
Can I use an S-Booster of 9 Volt on the Sonore Optical Module,
because I am using it on a TP-Link MC220L and wish to replace it with the Sonore Optical Module.
I read somewhere that the Module can get quite hot on the S-Booster

Best regards,
Fernand Lambert

I initially used a 9v SBooster with my optical Module and I found it to get quite hot. It was not too hot to keep your finger on but it made me uncomfortable to have the unit that hot. I switched to a SGC 5v supply. All you can do is try it, the heat shouldn’t damage the unit (hopefully). 9v is really overkill for the oM. 

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 1/11/2020 at 6:07 AM, fla-ts said:

May I be so free to ask a question?
Can I use an S-Booster of 9 Volt on the Sonore Optical Module,
because I am using it on a TP-Link MC220L and wish to replace it with the Sonore Optical Module.
I read somewhere that the Module can get quite hot on the S-Booster

Best regards,
Fernand Lambert

At 9v, it'll be quite hot, even with 7v it'll be quite warm.  I use 5v and they're basically room temp.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I use a 5V switch mode power supply with a MPAudio SD-HPULN PS in between. Input of the SD-HPULN PS is 5V, output is 4,4V. The opticalModule works fine at 4,4V. I'll tidy op the connectors and housing once I'm settled on the use of the SD-HPULN PS. The large heatsink is not necessary. The opticalModule does get warm without but not hot. This heatsink keeps it luke warm.1128579274_2020-01-1419_37_39.thumb.jpg.5cc1f32d37f3f1a64dff6db1a318d938.jpg