IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

14 hours ago, basillus said:

The final prices, BOM etc. are coming soon. The Group buy had running a while, the problem is that no one have yet ordered a 25MHz or 6.25 crystal and the minimum order is 10 or 15. 

The latest prices were:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/291925-tempered-master-clock-buy-post6255266.html

If you want for example Pierce AOI oscillator with 6.25 MHz crystal then why don't you add yourself to the group buy interest list, I dont see your nickname in the list? If you do that it would increase the chance that others follow. Its is not committing to buy anything at this point, just an interest list. I see 2 people (including me) that sofar added themselves to the list for 6.00 MHz and Pierce AOI (giving 24 MHz output). I will need the 24 MHz for usb communication.  

• 3 weeks later...

Since this is a DIY thread and there has also been some posts about clock upgrades here, I want to spread the word that the masterclock group buy at diyAudio forum is in its final stage where all testing is finished, prices have been decided and the main developer and GB organizer andrea_mori has started collecting orders. andrea_mori has developed high performance oscillators for many years and has organized several group buys before. There are many items available in the GB but the main interest for computer audio applications would be the TWTMC-PXO-AIO, this is an oscillator with 2 frequency doublers integrated on a single 211x100 mm circuit board. This is the one that is available for 24 MHz and 25 MHz output (so the crystal frequency is 6.00 and 6.25 MHz respectively). They are available as built and tested (you would have to mount it in a box and solder the crystal), or if you are comfortable with SMD soldering you can do some of the soldering yourself and buy it semi-built for lower price.

There is a Minimum Order Quantity at the crystal supplier (Laptech) of 15 items for each frequency, therefore I hope someone from here might join so we can reach this number. If MOQ is not reached the orders will be canceled. Most guys at diyAudio will only order the typical DAC frequencies. Deadline for the group buy is not decided yet, my guess is within a few weeks from now.   

To summarize ,these oscillators have very good performance, phase noise is not far from the best commercially available oscillators on the market. The price is very fair considering the performance.  

I have signed up for 24 MHz (6.000 x 4) to use for modifying my JCAT femto USB card. I have no commercial connections to the group buy.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/291925-tempered-master-clock-buy-66.html#post6397808

check the file part_II for the AIO oscillator phase noice measurements and other specs

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/291925-tempered-master-clock-buy-62.html#post6395611

check the prices in the order form

The main discussion thread is very long and quite messy, contains several years of development

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/261651-tempered-master-clock-building-low-phase-noise-jitter-crystal-oscillator.html

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, Mags said:

Thanks, Peter. I invite you to come listen to the devastation I have wrought in my system if you're ever in New Jersey. Such devastatingly beautiful sound.

My amps are also all choke input, two stage, direct-coupled, SET. 2.3kV on the big output tube plate. Have a look:

20210409_160648.jpg

20210315_173006.jpg

Looks like tube DIY on the highest level, impressive :)

The power tubes are beasts😮 , what tubes are those, and what output transformes do you use, are they custom-wound? 

BTW I agree 100% that choke input is generally better, because of the reasons you posted. Me too have used chokes this way in almost all my designs and builds for the last 20-25 years or so.    

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

This is all beautiful tube amplifier stuff but does any of you DIY amplifier builders have a good stating point idea for a choke first supply for the Taiko?

Choke values, choke manufacturers, capacitance etc. 

I second Mags recommendation for using PSUD2. One important consideration when designing choke input supplies is that a low current condition gives much higher voltage out, than a high current condition.  So for dynamic loads like computer components you need to make sure that your capacitor(s) and regulator(s) etc. can handle the voltage in the whole voltage range.  

You might want to take a look at Hammonds sortiment of high current chokes. I bought the 196M4 and used with both coils in parallel (8A) for my CPU (3700x) power supply. 

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/choke/195-196

For starting example values for L and C, I attach simulation schematic for my CPU supply (before the regulator) 

In this simulation I put a current step from 1A to 8A at time 0.4s in PSUD2. Very useful as you can get some info on the dynamic behaviour. I attach the simulation graphs on the output voltage and the current out from the diode bridge.  PSU_CPU_CIR.JPG.9cff9d7bfd405273e0af8bd798ed5159.JPGsim_PSU_CPU_STEPRESP.thumb.JPG.fdfc95e2a63421873642f63f41caa770.JPGsim_PSU_CPU_STEPRESP_BRIDGECURRENT.thumb.JPG.e95447d5681602b5700f9f30d8f0a2ee.JPG