IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

8 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

I am not referring to it, but I answer anyway. 😁

I use the ROG MAXIMUS XI GENE and it fits perfectly into Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX with HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX. I'm excited. 

haha thanks. It has a top notch VRM so that’s why I asked. See the tier list attached to this forumpost for example: https://www.overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1

But of course there’s more than just raw VRM power capabilities. :)

• 3 months later...

Roon works as long as endpoint(s) and server are in the same VLAN (or subnet in a non VLAN’ed network). Control devices can be in a different VLAN but one has to manually enter the server’s IP address once in the Roon app.

I have it set up this way (using a modded Buffalo BS-GS2016 switch in L3 mode) and this works just fine as long as one creates the right routes everywhere they’re needed (all routers) so inter VLAN traffic is still possible and the Internet can be reached. This network segregation dramatically lowers the amount of multi- and broadcast traffic received by the devices on the separate VLAN. The bigger your network, the greater the reduction.

Only after I set it up this way I remembered Apple Airplay relies on multicast protocols (mDNS etc.) as well so I now no longer can stream to my iPad (it’s in a different VLAN as are all other Wifi devices) from my Roon server. No biggie in my case but perhaps good to note here. But even if it wasn’t because of the protocols used by Apple Airplay, Roon still doesn’t allow it. Many have requested this limitation (=endpoints and server need to be in the same subnet/VLAN) be dealt with by Roon but AFAIK they have not yet indicated they will address this some day.

@ray-dude,  There’s a “help” text you can press on the Choose your Core screen and then the option for manually inputting the Core IP address becomes available.

For isolation I’d go for the routed/VLAN approach. Port forwarding may perhaps work but is usually there for hosts you ‘hide’ behind NAT addresses so e.g. for forwarding traffic initially directed to a public Internet IP address+port to a private IP+port on your LAN. This is typically done by firewalls.

Unfortunately I’m not familiar with the EdgeRouter and it’s really really hard to help remotely in these type of cases as I don’t know what your network looks like and there’s just too many dependencies plus stuff to configure.

(I did not mention in my earlier post that you’d also need a DHCP server on each VLAN, a multihomed DHCP server/DHCP helpers in your router or work with static IP’s on each host.)