IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

On 1/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Nenon said:

Perhaps that's the winning formula for a quad core CPU then. 0 gstp 1 stylus 2-3

I recently tried both the above and 0 gstp 1-2 stylus 3 with my standalone, no DSP,  Stylus on my 4 core NUC7i7DN, but I still went back to my long term  0-1 stylus 2 gstp 3, which sounded more natural and focused (one man's "airy" is another man's "bright"). However, the differences were quite subtle to my ears.

The original reason for choosing my long term setting was because, when looking at the CPU load/temp display, Stylus took up the least CPU load, then gstp, with "everything else" taking up the most. Therefore it made sense to allocate more cores to the thing that took the biggest load. But with so many variables, it's no surprise that others get different results.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Nenon said:

Let's start with RAM and Intel vs. AMD...

A great post that answers so many questions, but I can still think of a few more on RAM 🙂:

1. Is 2 better than 1? E.g. is 2 x 4GB better than 1 x 8GB?

(Some say 2x is better because of load balancing. OTOH it may result in slightly greater power consumption and noise. And greater cost). 

2. Is it a bad idea to mix 2 slightly different memory specs?

In particular, a 2400 Apacer and a 2666 Apacer in adjacent slots.

3. How big a SQ step is the 2666 above a 2400 Apacer, compared to a 2400 Apacer above a typical non-industrial RAM?

And same question for ECC above non-ECC?

I'm guessing there are diminishing returns here.

Thank you

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, skyline said:

I have owned 3 QSA fuses up to the Red. 

The question is do you like their house sound after the novelty wears off.

Because it’s a really strong house sound that is unmistakeable.

Well, I've not seen any consensus on QSA "house sound". Some say it (particularly the yellow) is forward and dynamic. Others say it is natural and effortless. And that the violet and above are more natural than the yellow. Nenon and Romaz have raved over the silver without specifying any particular house sound.

I'm also interested in the QSA wall sockets, which seem to be better VFM than the fuses for the same colour.