As usual - all marketing hyperbole and talk.

While the Uptone items I have were not directly purchased from Uptone, Uptone offers a transferable warranty which you are contractually obliged to honour. So what you are touting as exemplary customer service by attending to a failed unit is simply fulfilling a contractual obligation and no more.

While I am unaware of the provenance of the original LPS 1 I sent for repair, it was sold to me with the OEM Meanwell power supply that Uptone provides and has always been used as such. Any overdriving would have arisen from a power supply specified by yourselves.

Warranty replacement or repair entail using new parts and NOT used parts culled from trade ins or repairs. Used parts are exactly that - used and as such have limited life span. It is no surprise that your so called warranty replacements fail so quickly. This is not only my experience but those of many others:

I've owned both the lps1 and lps1.2 and though neither have failed on me, your story is not uncommon. Have many friends whose units failed. They sent it back for a new one, and the new one failed as well few months later."

"Same problem with the silanna chip for Regen.
Lps1 send back - new one failed within 2mths
Lps1-2 back in the US still waiting for parts.

Failure rate is quite high.
Have a few frd who encountered problems with mostly lps1 already"

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=292759.0

With regards to the latest LPS 1.2 purchased directly from Uptone, I paid for a new and finished product. What I received was clearly not that. By your own admission, its faults escaped Uptone's own lax quality controls and yet for all your exemplary customer service, you were not responsible enough to make it right and ship a replacement, at no additional cost to me.

Thanks for including a transcript of the email correspondence.

Is there a reason you did not also post the photos and videos documenting the faults in the LPS 1.2 you shipped?

Users can now see for themselves and render their own judgements.

May we all get what we truly deserve...

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Of course: https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-is-the-warranty-of-merchantability.html

We shipped him a brand new, perfectly functioning product. I found one of the photos he sent me of the screws he was not happy with:
998934566_YACheahLPS-1.2.jpg.1b73860ecb99b75de078c4420cff5782.jpg

Now talk to me about "merchantability." 9_9

Here are the photos you did not include which clearly show the damage.

1664957630_LPS1_201.thumb.JPG.e86456b6baa06a44925d756cd7faad80.JPG216952368_LPS1_202.thumb.JPG.1c78f9686b7d9eec2ca9701eac89aaf7.JPG

That is more than a "little bit of silver" showing - they are pretty stripped.

I do not own a hex/Allen key nor a Torx bit - wrong sized or otherwise and have not attempted to open the unit. I am guessing the previous owner of the used unit you sent me must have. Alternatively, Uptone must have used these implements when assembling the unit thereby causing and knowing what caused the damage.

This is a link to the video documenting the rattling noise:

There is no need to shake the unit to hear the noise. It was immediately apparent as I lifted the unit out of the box when I unpacked it.

You yourself admit to being aware of such damage to units which escape your poor quality control process.
Specifically:

" Perhaps the Torx T10 screwdriver tip my assistant was using to assemble was a bit worn. After many uses we throw away the bits if they start to mare the black of the Torx-star screw."

and

" Any rattle you hear is only from the entire circuit board not being held firm in the slots by pressure from the front/back plates. The PCB has close +/- tolerance for length, and sometimes a few are just 0.1mm short—enough to keep the end plates from holding it steady. We have a trick to fix that (a bit of electrical tape along the inside of the front plate is enough thickness), but perhaps we missed your unit or the temperature is different in your environment"

There is a recurring thread where you tellingly seem to know exactly what has caused the damage. Yet are not decent enough to take responsibility for your own negligence but rather ask me to open up the unit myself and mount electrical tape. As mentioned, I am not technically inclined nor do I own the implements necessary to fix issues with the used and/ or damaged unit you sent. I would have to pay a technician to so so which is ludicrous as I paid for a new and finished product which was clearly not shipped as such.

There is only your word that there are no loose parts and your words have been proven to lack credibility.

Good customer service only happens when you perform it. Not when you just talk endlessly about how good it is.

Here is more of Alex's "transparency" posted on another board. At least the poster had the consideration to redact and block out personal details from the emails unlike others.

"Sooo, not to get into he said she said here but I had a very similar experience with uptone audio. I on the other hand purchased all new direct from Alex products. This is my experience without bogging down into great detail. 
1- several times my purchase was delayed even though product was paid. This happened on more than one occasion and occurred for two products I purchased. 2- I two had an iso regen fail and it was replaced after much bantering back and forth. So great but here’s an excerpt of correspondence;

Hi ——-
So let’s exchange the circuit board in your ISO REGEN for a new one (SQ is better, but we are not publicly discussing that since it is an in-line change; and one can tell version only by looking at the board).
Please mail just the IS REGEN (no PS or cables; and no special box—packing material/retail box is not returned) back to us at:
UpTone Audio LLC4647 Indian Peak RoadMariposa, California 95338USA
We will install a brand new board (so it will need some “break-in”) and ship back to you right away. Please include a note in the box.
Thanks and have a great weekend,—-——

I took issue with this statement “the sound quality is better but we are not publicly discussing it” this is where I started to get turned off from uptone products as it was disclosed to me that the early chips had issues and the third version was finally up to snuff. I’m not a fan of being a test bed for equipment from a company and it seams this is what was happening. 
2: I also had an lps1.2 fail and again it was replaced and much like the op the replacement came back dinged up and looking used (in Alex’s defence he sent new end plates) again some correspondence;

Hi ——-
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. Yes, we can certainly improve in some areas.  
The LPS-1.2 issue was tough because:a) It took us a while to figure out why it was happening;b) It only occurred on about 5% of the units in the field, so we did not feel the need to alarm people (audiophiles are a skidish bunch and the LPS-1.2 is really our “cash cow”).
Even a failing LPS-1.2 could never harm an external device. Simply not possible with the safety design measures that are part of the product. So the possibility you raise was never a possibility—another reason we did not feel compelled to issue a formal alert. Such was considered carefully.
I’ll pick out and mail a nice pair of end panels for you. I assume that you have a Torx T10 size driver bit handy to remove the screws?
All the best,
———

again there was a issue with the product and failure rate. At the end of the day I sold all my uptone gear including a js2 and moved on. Alex seams like a really nice guy but parts of his business model seam a bit off. Just putting it out there that the op may seam vengeful but there is some merit in his dealings.

• 5 weeks later...